Join now - be part of our community!

Bluetooth registration failing for Imaging Edge Mobile for A7IV to Android

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
siharri3765
Explorer

Bluetooth registration failing for Imaging Edge Mobile for A7IV to Android

I am trying to register my A7IV to Imaging Edge Mobile on a Huawei P20. It fails the pairing every time. I have reinstalled the app rebooted the phone and camera etc etc etc. I can connect via wifi though and get reduced functionality. Any suggestions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Advise:

- camera reset

- phone -> settings -> system -> options for reset -> reset network settings

- or settings -> device connections -> bluetooth -> previous connected devices - see all -> choose device and tap on forget

Let bluetooth start fresh on both sides.

Just switching off bluetooth isn't good enough.

In my opinion it isn't Android 10 just your phones interaction, can't lay my finger on it.

However I'll escalate.

Takes some time, it's friday afternoon right now.

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
siharri3765
Explorer

All working now. I have no idea which step fixed it but have reset settings in the camera, phone P20 - airplane mode, BT off/on, reboot etc etc and eventually it worked. (I did not reset the network settings, this would have deleted all of my WiFi and BT saved connection information.)

Anyhow, now it is working, what an amazing piece of S/W, much better than Nikon SnapBridge :slight_smile:

thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Try this:

- Open Imaging Edge Mobile

- Turn on Bluetooth

- Tap "Connect to camera"

- Pair & Connect

Before doing so see that you're using the latest Imaging Edge software 7.6.0 and that the latest camera information is downloaded from within the app.

Then choose ILCE-7M4 and continue.

In case you already followed these steps, come back and explain where it went wrong.

profile.country.GB.title
siharri3765
Explorer

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have done all of that.

I’ll get the exact wording if you require but from memory...... 

On phone, I start the registration process, the camera displays my phones name (they are clearly talking), I accept the pair, the wheel on the phone spins for a bit (15 seconds??) and then it says it failed to pair. I suspect that there is a subtle issue with the Bluetooth handshake between the phone and camera.

I can also provide screen shots etc if you want.?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Bluetooth is very good but unpredictable.

In this case reset all bluetooth on phone and reset camera.

Let them get to know each other as if they've never met before.

profile.country.GB.title
siharri3765
Explorer

Camera - I have turned off BT, checked that there are no paired devices, taken battery out for 5 mins, turned on BT

Huawei P20 Android 10 Phone - uninstalled all, rebooted phone, installed app, checked that the camera is not paired etc.

It still won't connect

I then tested with a Galaxy S6 Android 7  phone - Pairs perfectly.

There is clearly an issue with the Imaging Edge Mobile App and how it accesses either Android 10 or a Huawei P20.

Is there a way to escallate this to the development team?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Advise:

- camera reset

- phone -> settings -> system -> options for reset -> reset network settings

- or settings -> device connections -> bluetooth -> previous connected devices - see all -> choose device and tap on forget

Let bluetooth start fresh on both sides.

Just switching off bluetooth isn't good enough.

In my opinion it isn't Android 10 just your phones interaction, can't lay my finger on it.

However I'll escalate.

Takes some time, it's friday afternoon right now.

profile.country.GB.title
siharri3765
Explorer

All working now. I have no idea which step fixed it but have reset settings in the camera, phone P20 - airplane mode, BT off/on, reboot etc etc and eventually it worked. (I did not reset the network settings, this would have deleted all of my WiFi and BT saved connection information.)

Anyhow, now it is working, what an amazing piece of S/W, much better than Nikon SnapBridge :slight_smile:

thanks for your help.

i had this issue because i factory reset the a7IV. it was already paired to my android phone and tablet. in order to pair the camera to the same device again, the registered bluetooth from your phone for this camera must be unpaired or removed. go to your bluetooth settings and select the camera name and click unpair or remove.. when you have done this, pairing it again from the sony imagining app will be possible. 

this tooks me hours to understand, almost lost hope lol. anyways i hope this helps someone. take care.