Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.NL.title
Edwin1273
Explorer

I had to pull the powerplug a few times as the systeem was completely frozen from my new Sony KD-55x9305c. No response on the remote except the LED light on the bottom indicating that the signaal is received.

i checked for a software update but none available. Latest software is installed.

profile.country.GB.title
jwq001

@Edwin1273 wrote:

I had to pull the powerplug a few times as the systeem was completely frozen from my new Sony KD-55x9305c. No response on the remote except the LED light on the bottom indicating that the signaal is received.

i checked for a software update but none available. Latest software is installed.

Which software version are you running and are you using CI+ module ?

Latest software is V2637....

Pablokay
Explorer

So very frustrating. I have contacted Sony directly and have emailed currys where I purchased the TV for a refund or exchange as this tv has to be the worst experience I've ever had. 

I will update once I've either managed to exange or fix the issue even tho I doubt it will get fixed any time soon as there is no way I'm paying for a tv that just doesn't do its basic functions. 

dataghost
Explorer

Yet another example of how this TV fails to operate on the most basic level:

Watching tv then decided to check out Netflix. Hit the Netflix button which began to load however the tv sound continued to play. Assuming it was a feature i selected a program which began to load until it got to 99% and then hung, tv sound still playing.  Pressed the tv button and the tv eventually lagged back to the channel I had been watching, but now the Netflix, guide, or home buttons no longer worked. At this point I held down the power button to reboot which did nothing either, as if the whole OS had crashed.  Then after doing nothing for about 30 seconds the picture flickered, went off, and eventually the all too familiar Sony and Android logos.

This tv is absolutely USELESS.

@dataghost wrote:

Yet another example of how this TV fails to operate on the most basic level:

Watching tv then decided to check out Netflix. Hit the Netflix button which began to load however the tv sound continued to play. Assuming it was a feature i selected a program which began to load until it got to 99% and then hung, tv sound still playing.  Pressed the tv button and the tv eventually lagged back to the channel I had been watching,

This is exactly the same issue I have got when trying to select Amazon after watching terrestrial TV - it starts the Amazon app, allows you to select something to watch, starts loading but eventually just bombs straight back out to whatever TV channel you were originally watching.

At this point, rather than try again, I to do a long press power off to reboot the TV (and most of the time it works without hanging) and then select Amazon straight after reboot and its normally ok. 

Although I did load the YouView update it is disabled, but I didn't note this as an issue before the update. 

cozzykim

@Anonymous

Did you enquire whether the developers could add the A2DP service to these TVs?

This would be a very useful addition, can it be difficult?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cozzykim - yes i have.  it had already been suggested.  Current status is "suggested to design as improvement".  No feedback yet to whether if/when it will be implemented.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

@cozzykim - yes i have.  it had already been suggested.  Current status is "suggested to design as improvement".  No feedback yet to whether if/when it will be implemented.

Can I also make a suggestion - automatically switch off PS4 gamepad after 10 mins like it does on the console. As it stands it does not switch off unless you do it manually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Risc0n wrote:

Can I also make a suggestion - automatically switch off PS4 gamepad after 10 mins like it does on the console. As it stands it does not switch off unless you do it manually.

I see this as more of a bug/issue that could be addressed in a FW update with relative ease, rather than a design improvement - either way, Ive passed this suggestion onto Sony.

ANDYST3

i had a sony KD- 55X8509C since 13th september purchased through currys when the deal price was £999 and 5 year guarantee with various issues very poor viewing angle , sluglish response with the remote control and the screen format full banner appearing all through 3d movies and the banner intermittantly popping up on my tv picture via my sky box, i had reported the screen banner fault with sony after it started appearing after last software update with no success as to a fixf rom sony but given a case no.and said i had to wait from technical team to respond within 48 hrs, monday this week based on these issues and reading all the posts on this forum decided to contact currys head office knowhow team which was a challenge as they said there was nothing they could do but i needed to speak the store i purchased from and some strong conversations they put me in touch when the store directly then they took all details and said they would get back to me when they did they said they had spoke to sony and needed to wait 48 hours for a response, at that point i said i had already been waitinng nearly a month for a fix from sony so asked for a mgr i could speak to and waited some 5mins mgr comes on again i explain all the issues and i said i was not prepared to put up with a faulty tv any longer and wanted to exhange for a different make ie a samsung with similar spec and features and quite happy to pay the difference cost me an extra £260   they agree for me to bring tv back yesterday to exhange and take a new set which i have now done - should have bought a samsung in first place and so far tv is great, so thank you currys, but shame on sony very poor customer service , and poor quality tv ,i urge everyone else that has enough of the shoddy shambles of the andriod system to go back to there retailer as they are the agents and insist they take the tv back.- currys  dont like you quoting the sale of good act and comsumer law at them they got very defensive with me when i mentioned it but kept going with my argement.