Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
jain236

i must appreciate your patience with sony.. you are still going with sony even after 3 replacements? :thinking:

Triswillmott

@jain236 unfortunately I've not much other choice. Currys refused an exchange or refund, so I'm stuck in a loop with Sony. Should've learnt my lesson when my 55w905 packed in after a year, God only knows why I choice the X85 as its replacement.
cozzykim

@Triswillmott

That's diabolical, try harder to get a refund, or even take them to court as the TV is not FFP.

I took one back to Curry's in July and stood my ground until they refunded me.

I took another back to JL this month, bought 1st August, and they refunded that one too.

The 'Small Claims' Court isn't hard or expensive to do, it's about time that these leery retailers realised their obligations under the SOG Act, (if you bought it in August)

Triswillmott

@cozzykim thanks for the advice. I'll keep pushing for it now, really fed up with the sub par product I've spent alot of money on and now being told I'll onnly get 3 months waranty honoured is the last straw.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Tarpii wrote:

I followed the instructions posted on here to export, edit and import the channels from USB to remove the adult channels from my TV guide. (including disabling the auto update of channels within the technical page) 

All worked fine at the time, but this morning, I have found that CBeebies had moved from channel 124 to 123, and asll the channels had been removed from the TV Sideview app, when I asked the app to reinitialize channels from the TV, all the Adult channels reappeared within my TV guide! What a waste of time.

Has anybody got a solution for this issue? Thanks, T 

As Manuel says, there is no solution for this...  I have even tried loading a clean channel list to the set AFTER it has been both factory-reset and power-cycled.  - The set will STILL add-back undesirable channels and delete and re-order others! 

A client of mine - whose business is in IT - has offered the opinion that all these problems are as the result of Sony's development team attempting to build up the UI  from pre-existing modules; in much the same way as a child might attempt to build something out of a box of Lego that contains bricks from many different eras and even a few 'damaged' ones...

...His 'paradigm' is that things that 'don't quite' fit together properly might go unnoticed at an early stage of the build; but they will introduce errors which are amplified as the build progresses, to such an extent other innacuracies have to be introduced to compensate.

- But no matter what is done, a structure built on a wobbly base with components that aren't a proper fit is never going to be completely stable. The only credible option is to tear it down to the ground and start again.

Triswillmott wrote:
And Sony have sunk to a new low. I originally purchased the 55x8509C in August. I'm now on the third replacement and Sony just emailed saying they refuse to transfer the 5 year warranty to the new one I have and that it'll only have 3 month warranty honoured. Pretty sure they're breaking a law somewhere now right??

Triswillmott wrote:
@jain236 unfortunately I've not much other choice. Currys refused an exchange or refund, so I'm stuck in a loop with Sony. Should've learnt my lesson when my 55w905 packed in after a year, God only knows why I choice the X85 as its replacement.

Not sure from what you wrote if you purchased the set or it was a replacement for an older set given out under warranty?

At this stage you need to get Trading Standards involved I think...   The original set is proved (as the testimony of dozens on this forum alone will corroborate)  to have serious manufacturing defects. The replacements have had the same fundamental defects (i.e. a UI/OS that is not fit for purpose).   - There are previous indications on this forum of Sony attempting to stifle the outcry about these sets; both through censorship and manipulating the forum...

That they are now apparently resorting to this new low is as unsurprising as it is unacceptable.  Certainly; they have no basis to limit your 5-year warranty as this was originally 'purchased' with a set that should have been working propelry; as well all know, these sets just don't!

However; there is a caveat in so far as - if it's the case that your latests set was supplied under the warranty on your original set (the 55w905) which presumably broke down under its guarantee ; there may be small print which 'entitles' them to limit the warranty on any replacement...  Unfair I know; especially when they've replaced your original set with a known dud!  - But it would take an expert to look into that fine print.

My wider view is that Sony are now very clearly indulging in deceptive practices; which would be contrary to the Consumer Protection Against Unfair Trading Regulations...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2008/9780110811574/contents

Unfortunately, it will take one or more Trading Standards departments to get involved here for these regulations to have any bite...  And the TSOs need to know about the multiple people experiencing inter-related problems with these sets which have been, and continue to be, quite clearly, mis-sold.

Bear in mind that the sets don't even function properly as basic domestic television receivers...  That is core to them being legally unfit for purpose and is enhanced by the lack of other functionality.

Sony should,by rights, be recalling these sets and taking steps to ensure their existing 'victims' are fully compensated in some way for the time absobed and distress caused by these issues. 

Triswillmott

@Caledonian_TV basically I had the w905 which went wrong. Warranty never came into play, I did a sales of goods act claim and got a full refund. Used the money to buy this X8509C which came as standard with 5 years manufacturers warranty. Therefore this 3rd replacement I have should still be honoured with the 5 year warranty it was purchased with. Trading standards have been contacted to get this warranty included, but still fighting the case for a return to the store I bought it from.
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Ok Triss... So the set is effectively a new purchase...

Given that that faults are inherent manufacturing defects - and really in any case - I can't see how Sony imagine they have a leg to stand on.

There is a weight of evidence here from ordinary domestic users who cannot make their sets do what they were advertised as being meant to do.  - At the risk of boring anyone else; I am a trained broadcast professional, and I cannot get my set to function properly even as a basic domestic television receiver; never mind all the bells and whistles!  So there at least dozens if not hundreds if not thousands of people who can testify (I for one am quite happy to stand up in court) that the faults experienced with these sets are the result of core-incompetence on Sony's part.

Sony need to recall these sets... Not dig themselves a deeper hole!

danielbeyzade

If you really want to see how bad the programmers are connect to the set via ADB from Android Studios (its a debug console).

Here you can see all kinds of strange remarks from engineers in the log.

For example this runs every second, checking if WiFi and BT are OK or if they have crashed and need a reset on the IC. This is obviously a bug with a bad work around to keep checking and reset:

12-17 10:18:43.270 3392-3392/? I/BluetoothResetService_v3.10: check wifi and bt status
12-17 10:18:43.270 3392-3392/? I/BluetoothResetService_v3.10: checkWifiBtStatus
12-17 10:18:43.270 3392-3392/? I/BluetoothResetService_nat_v1.8: wifi driver status = 0, if reture 1, ic need reset
12-17 10:18:43.270 3392-3392/? I/BluetoothResetService_nat_v1.8: bt driver status = 1, if reture 0, bt framework need reset

Ive also seen reference to screen On / Off Bug

This is the TV features, you will see mention of PIP / PAP and recording so at least we know they have actually been working on it...

12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isFeatureRegionStatus=true_
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isYouViewStatus=false_
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isExternalInput=false
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: _Pap|PIP=0_
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isSonyPlayerActive=false_
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: foregounrd=com.sony.dtv.tvx
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isHotelMode=false_
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isWideModeOninHotelMode=false_
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isTvSpeaker=true
12-17 10:29:07.390 4502-8316/? E/TV_ACTION_DISPLAY_SOUND: isRecPlayerInForeground=false

I also notice when you switch your TV off, it goes through a whole load of checking channel data and EPG - that takes 4-5 seconds hence the sluggish turning off.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Spook63,

I agree with Caledonian_TV and also assume that you've installed the wrong firmware on your TV.

In this case you need to contact Sony service and ask them to switch back your firmware to the UK version as I don't believe that this can be done on your side.

@Marty.SThanks a lot for your feedback. Yes, we're on it and engineers are examining the issue for all these unwanted behaviours currently.

@lgcebr Thanks for your detailed list of issues. Yes, I'm from Sony and am the Community Admin. Most of your problems are known and engineers are working on a solution. In terms of managing inputs you should be able to disable unwanted inputs here: Home > Settings > External inputs > Manage inputs. You can set them to hidden and they won't appear anymore in your list. Some of them e.g. HDMI inputs can be labled by pre-defined or custom labels. Unwanted apps can be disabled in the Apps menu but you can't uninstall them (same as for most mobile devices). Also the Home screen can be customized at certain degree: Home > Settings > Home Screen.

Cheers

Peter

elraouk

I've hidden all my hdmi inputs apart from hdmi 1 which is hooked up to my av distribution kit (HDBaseT receiver).  My tv shows me various "player_1" labels connected to another hdmi port.... Needless to say that when I check the back of the TV, there's still nothing really there...