Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

I got a hold of the full version... Edited my channel list, read it back to the set; the set just changed it again; deleting at least one wanted channel, 'un-renaming' channels I'd customised...   And adding-back some 17 random foreign language channels! 

These are stations that would not have been even ON the channel list I was working on; having viewed the raw XML via dreamweaver's code window...

Having to use an external program to do something basic is bad enough...  But the set just won't retain that information and seems to 'do what it likes'! 

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hallo everyone,

There's some other options to avoid channel refreshing when receiving your channel via satellite.

DSC_0365.JPG

Can you please check if those are disabled as well?

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers

Peter

Hi - first post here - apologies if what I'm going to ask has been covered previously - but a lot to read through so I haven't - sorry.  Purchased new Sony (standard HD) Android TV (KDL43W809CBU) about a week ago and got some concerns and problems - but searching and finding this forum - I'm not the first and that has got me worried.  

Basic problem is that yesterday I was in the Youview guide and selected something against a programme (I think it was Watch on Demand or something - I can't remember). Anyway the Youview guide now does not display programe information - all I get for all channels is Information Not Available - and for any selected programme I get Loading...

I've done basic switch off TV and retune etc.  But can't get details back. Help,.

But in addition to that I've noticed a 'lip synch' issue between picture and sound - and seems it's a common issue?

I'm also not convinced by picture quality - so for instance a seem to get a lot of smearing when watching football that I don't get with my 4yr old Panasonic...is thaty just me?

And the picture from my feed from my Sky HD+ box is rubbish (wavy background 'interference' over all of screen (though that might just be feed and nothing to do with the TV)

And so on.  

And reading of all the issues and problems here I'm thinking that I'll just take it back and tell them I'm not happy.

Is it worth persevering trying to get things sorted or hoping I can sort things or they will improve?  I have no great attachment to Sony so if I'm just going to be disappontedf maybe I should take it back.  We don't spend much on technology - and this is by far the most we've ever spent on anything - never mind a TV - and I am so disappointed.

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

HenryHallsDanceBand - 

I have the same model, but don't experience a lot of the issues that some users do.

Lip sync is only an issue on Youtube for me, everything else syncs fine via my AV receiver via ARC

I don't use youview as I'm running Sky HD - the picture quality from my sky feed is crystal clear for fast moving images like sports (as is the feed from any other external source e.g. BluRay, PS4, PS3 and even the Wii). 

You might have a faulty set if you are getting wavy lines from the sky feed - presume you've tried alternate HDMI port and/or cable as well.

If you are already unhappy then you may want to get rid of this quick while you still have the returns policy in you favour.

Hope this helps.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
Triswillmott

@HenryHallsDanceBand take it from me (somebody who's been through 3-4 replacements), don't hang about and wait for your return period to expire. I'd take the set back now while you can do so without issue and opt for another brand or hang fire at least til Sony get their 2015 lineup on the shelves. I have all the issues you listed, lip sync, background noise with sky etc and they're all issues that shouldn't exist since they're basic functionality issues that no tv should have in 2015. If I was in a position right now to be able to return my tv without a huge battle then believe me when I say it'd be sent back tomorrow. I've been a fan of Sony for years now and had numerous Sony products, but these android tv's will unfortunately be the last.

@andipr Thanks for that.  My TV is in a back room and remote from my Sky HD+ box.  I'll try connecting the TV direct to the Box and see how I get on. I may have to move it in any case as I need to install a Sky Magic Eye to be able to access and control the box from the back room (which would mean I wouldn't be using Youview in any case) - but I may have issues with that even given my aeriel set up with boosters being in the way (coaxial from the Sky HD box to all rooms in the hose)   Picture quality from a BlueRay plugged into via HDMI looks great.  Too many things...:(

@Triswillmott I'm close to that.  BTW - can I just take a TV back and say "I don't like it - I want my money back?"

Hi everyone,

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues  Can someone repost this onto that thread please. I have to post this as a new thread because, for some continuing reason, I have no "Reply" buttons to the threads I can read.

Last evening, I watched a 4K UHD example broadcast from a European station via satellite for a few minutes - a bit like the Sky UHD one.  When switching channels to the next station, the picture is ultra zoomed-in. The result is that the picture occupies the right hand half of the screen, approximately, and the picture that is there is ultra zoomed in such that only about the top left 10-15%% of the picture is actually visible; like the newsreader's right ear and a bit of neck. This is made up of low res lines and then persists on all channels; it can be removed only by unplugging.

Another interesting quirk for the Sony Boffins to ignore....?

Regards,

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
scoopy6

peterk_1 wrote: I think this should be forked to a new thread

Looking at the links to the software it would appear that Sony have licensed a restricted(?) version of "SetEditSony 1.12" settings editor  here http://setedit.de/SetEdit.php?spr=2&Editor=140 .  AFAIK this software works by importing the Sony xml file to its own internal format and having finished editing the channels are exported back to the sony xml file.  Dependant on the "resrtictions" it may be possible to download a suitable channel list from one of the "satellite" forums and export it in "Sony" format. (The core software is common to all supported receivers and DLL's are added for each receiver you want settings files for)

I haven't used the software for maybe 5 years and my memory isn't that good but I think I had problems with removing channels - All channels held in a master list and when the export file is created all channels are exported with "deleted" channels flagged?????? and the tv is ignoring/overwriting the flag.  There's a proper help file at http://www.seteditfiles.de/SetEditSony/SetEditSony_en.pdf that may contain a "permanent delete".

The settings file can be shared so sharing via email might help users

I note that "...and the tv is ignoring/overwriting the flag...".  Therefore am not sure if this would mean that, for terrestrial digital too, setting Favourite_n as the Category shown in the Channel Guide would on its own be any use, even if Peter_S's channel list updates were to be disabled.

SetEditSony (is there a download somewhere for a free version?) is certainly interesting because it seems to have brought out what might be going on, but guess it is unlikely to be fathomable and practical for most users.

Oh, and is there any chance we could also have 'save all settings' ? :cool:

Channel List Problems

1.) Peculiarities, as above, of the way Channel Lists and Favourites can be edited, saved, and set up, and mainly that they are liable to self modification. These are potentially the most useful features so perhaps this could all be re-organised and properly documented.

2.) We find that this one has not after all been be resolved by the 10 Dec Update:-

Upon returning to watch Tv, the screening of, or repeated display of, the Channel List or, if a new channel has been selected, of the previously tuned channel.

This is still present after a Factory Reset and seems crude and unsatisfactory, especially when the irregular process behind it may be contributing to variable delays while switching channels.

3.) Pressing buttons Prog+ and Prog- doesn't result in page up/down

4.) Not sure if it helps that we have disabled the commercial apps, but the Information screen with Related Content, is very useful. However there is a snag involving order of the headings, being 'Details', then 'Cast/Crew' and last, 'Related Content'.

If there is any info about the 'Cast/Crew' the highlight moves down into that section, when it has to be directed up again to go to the more useful 'Related Content', so perhaps this could be dealt with and/or the order changed.

5.) 'Discover' is great! :nauseated_face:

49X8309C in uk
Triswillmott

@HenryHallsDanceBand absolutely. Just box it up, take it back and tell them the issues you're having as the reasons for return. If it's not what you expected then as long as it's within returns period you're good to go.