Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
hordley
New

On problemaatiline at all

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@adyjay33 wrote:
If you bought this TV after Oct 2015 then software is part of the SOGA and
must be fit for purpose... don't let them fob you off, its got an operating
system and that is covered.

https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/training-knowledge/articles/new-consumer-rights-b2c-transactions/

Sorry @adyjay33, while your reassurance is sound, technically you are wrong on several counts 😞

SOGA protection is largely repealed by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for consumer items bought from businesses in or after October 2015, and it is best not to quote SOGA at businesses for items bought under the Consumer Rights Act, which anyway gives you greater protections.

A close reading of the material linked in your follow-on posting will bear this out.

But while these greater protections now extend to digital purchases (for which read exclusively digital-only, and is what the Blake Morgan link is about)), you had the same protections under SOGA that you have now for goods with partly digital content - such as these Sony Android TVs - and this was always so, and has not changed.

No retailer could then, or can now, wriggle out of an issue with the sale of these TVs because the issue is solely in software, since the purchase was of a tangible good - something you can feel and touch.

While SOGA and Consumer Rights are both big sticks, it is important to wave the correct stick at the retailer, so he has no reason to suppose that you do not know what you are doing 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
timodell

Can we all agree that Amazon is not in DD5.1 on any current implementation of the Sony Android operating system and that alanxce is presumably just being misled by the dolby prologic surround channel encoded in the stadard 2.0 feed?

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

"Start playing a video on the stock player, then go to the action menu. In the video section choose "Fit Screen" (if it says "Expand" you'll have to choose that first). Then Action menu, Video section choose "Information", press the back button and it should be in the correct ratio"

I have a further update on the instruct this, less steps!

If it already says "expand" when you press the Action menu button, just select information, then press back and it'll be the correct ratio.

alanxce

@timodell wrote:

Can we all agree that Amazon is not in DD5.1 on any current implementation of the Sony Android operating system and that alanxce is presumably just being misled by the dolby prologic surround channel encoded in the stadard 2.0 feed?

I may well be misled, it's easily done and I am happy to be wrong. I have only been going on what other posters have been putting up as a means of checking.

I am under the impression that when browsing the video titles in Amazon video (Prime) others are not seeing the blue box with 5.1 in it and therefore 5.1 is not available for this title. I have been seeing this blue box but more than happy to run some other kind of check if someone can post one up.

Rahim92
New

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else experienced a static/popping sound from their KD55X8509C tv? I've had the issue on 2 TVs and am currently on my third replacement from Currys. 

The he sound happens at random times and is extremely annoying. It's not from the speaker as we're using a sound bar, but the actual tv itself.

I has the previously 2 TVs plugged in via a 5 lead adaptor, however have the new one plugged directly in the wall. Could this make a difference? 

Thanks 

ezeest

Just started to notice this on mine, also started to turn on at random during the day, both since last update!

Sent from my iPad Pro
walshy5050

Well it time to say goodbye after my tv being unresponsive twice yesterday I rang Sony again with no joy so I put the TV back in its box went to currys and after a good 30 min discussion with one of the staff that rang Sony again and said they need to send an engineer I said no not goodenough I want a refund this is the 2nd tv with the same faults.

He called for the manager and the Sony store rep I shown them a video of the TV at fault and straight away the both agreed it was faulty and a full refund was given 

No own a lg 55ug870v great tv all works well the only thing Sony got right is the picture quality 

Goodbye Sony broken promises all round carnt even get a tv right I was 1 of many that had promises given on the psychological vita another of Sony failures 

All the best people 

adyjay33

Yep I meant the Consumer Rights Act 2015....that's why the link I put was
about that... I also put a link to the actual act as well but that seems to
not be here... apologies on putting the SOGA but the information given is
still valid.
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
AnisKhan

I'm pretty certain you are not getting 5.1.  It shows the image to say that 5.1 is available but it's not coming down to my amp as that. I wish we could at least get some acknowledgement from Sony or anyone that this is definitely a recognised problem.