Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@alfonzobonzo and @MiCal1967 may you confirm that the favourite list works as I wrote? It's working like this since day one on mine. The confirmation message is rather too fast to be read but this is minor, whenever you choose directly a channel outside your favourite list the favourite mode is off (so it's still quite easy for a child to search not wanted channels)

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@rooobb

Hi rooobb

Thanks for your interest.

I don't know why but I had lost my patience trying to work with Favourites in the past and stopped using them.

Maybe the cause was the Satellite channels affecting everything in Favorites and channel lists.

I used to go to Favorites through DISCOVER and not through the GUIDE.

I just could not accept that there could be a difference between a way of selection about the same thing. It's as if there is a difference by selecting Digital from Remote  Control or selecting Digital from Home Menu. There is surely something wrong with written Android Code.

These days I am checking all previous problems and I will try again Favourites. Satellite channels re-sorting themselves automatically seems OK for the past two days.Satellite channels re-appearing seems NOT OK. They do re-appear.

I'll create my Favourites again and tell what happens..

I think that alfonzobonzo did not notice that if you choose Favourites through GUIDE then he has to press ACTION MENU from within Guide Screen and goto Category and choose Favourites x

Thanks

alfonzobonzo

@rooobb and @MiCal1967

I experimented with it a bit this morning, and think i concur with you

If i set my favourites1 whilst in the EPG.

• I see a brief message when i select a channel & it returns to full broadcast picture.
  • I can then not access the hidden channels by pressing channel up or down keys or through the EPG.
  • If I enter the hidden channel number, it loads that channel AND this action effectivly seems to unset the favourites list and that hidden chanel is then now avaliable by pressing the up and down channel key although it is still invisible in the EPG and EPG is still showing favourites1
  • Re-applying the favourite1 from the action menu only works to restore if you do it from the action menu when viewing the EPG. Selecting it from the action menu whilst not viewing EPG does nothing, presumably because it seems the action of selecting a chennel form the list is the key for setting which favourites list you are using.
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@rsebre

Enabling "Enhanced" format on your PC's HDMI input just grants you the ability to output your pc at 2160p RGB 4:4:4 @ 60hz. 

It DOESN'T enable HDR if your TV doesn't support it. If your TV supports HDR, you will have a HDR picture setting along with all of the other picture modes, such as Standard, Cinema etc.  You can choose HDR from the picture menu whenever you want.  If you don't see HDR in Picture settings, then it doesn't support it.  Also, I don't think that the X83c has a Triluminous display either.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@alfonzobonzo

@rooobb

A fresh example of my old problems with Favourites.

• I choose 10 channels from Digital and set as Favourites 1
  • I choose 10 channels from General Satellite as Favourites 1.
  • I go to GUIDE - ACTION MENU - Broadcast type select Digital then Category and then Favourites 1.
  • I select first Digital channel of favorites 1 in GUIDE and choose View.
  • TV shows my channel.
  • If now press PROG + or -  then ....voila. What I see is a General Satellite Favourites 1 Channel !!!!!!!!!

Same problems AGAIN!!!!!

Software CONFUSES Digital Favourites 1 with General Satellite Favourites 1.

That's why I don't use Favorites and my mental health is perfect ever since !!!!! :wink:

frankie1g

I was trying to point this out but I think hdmi enhanced had nothing to do with hdr think you need a kdx and above for all the hdr goodness 

Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@MiCal1967 I never had any satellite so I get for granted  the problem you describe. With DVBT only it works . I'm sure now that you explained it so clearly (at least for me it's the first time) I'm sure Sony will take care of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rooobb - unfortunately there are various issues using the DVB-S/S2 tuners in the UK and the subsequent EPG - where editing the channels and order makes no difference in the long run... :slight_smile:

sjschofield
Explorer

So, we now have USB recording on the KD-49X8309C (and others) since the March update but is my understanding correct - you can either use the YouView option (which is required for ITV Hub for example) without record option or you can disable the YouView option, have the ability to record but then lose access to ITV Hub?  I would have expected the catch-up TV apps to be available in the app store independantly and you are not forced to choose between catch-up TV or record (BBC iPlayer does work in both modes thankfull)?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@sjschofield wrote:

So, we now have USB recording on the KD-49X8309C (and others) since the March update but is my understanding correct - you can either use the YouView option (which is required for ITV Hub for example) without record option or you can disable the YouView option, have the ability to record but then lose access to ITV Hub?  I would have expected the catch-up TV apps to be available in the app store independantly and you are not forced to choose between catch-up TV or record (BBC iPlayer does work in both modes thankfull)?

As does Demand 5.

if you want satellite, you must avoid YouView, and so cannot access the ITV Hub and All4 at all.

But if you don't, then as long as you do not have a recording set, or ongoing, you can ***** (the software has removed a perfectly normal English word meaning 'to move quickly' which is in no way derogatory to the Japanese) across to YouView to use these Players, and ***** back when you are finished, quite quickly.

The trick is to skip the YouView tuning you are offered; there is no downside to this that I am aware of.

it is to be hoped that YouView will offer recording in the future; it's a bit of a chocolate fireguard without it.

Sony have indubitably miscalculated by not obtaining these two Players independently of YouView; but whether you praise YouView for at least providing them, or deprecate it for lulling Sony into a false sense of security that they would be freely and easily available, is up to you 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking