Join now - be part of our community!

4k tv screen tearing

profile.country.GB.title
Horsers
Explorer

4k tv screen tearing

Hi, Does anyone know how to fix the issue of screen tearing when watching 4k, would this be an issue with the cable I am using out of the back of my Sky Q box. It seems sometime like the screen gets left behind and then trys to catch up with the moving pictures which looks totally unnatural. Any answers or solutions to this would be fantastic. I though it was a problem with the TV but its brand new out the box so assume it is a setting or something? There is also some sort of flash frame every now and again when the tv show I am watching changes camera angle or shot. Again I assume this is a setting but it is one of those issue where once you notice it, you cant stop noticing it.

Many thanks in advance for you help.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Horsers,

what you describe sounds like "ghosting" rather than "screen tearing".

This is how screen tearing looks like.

Ghosting is mostly an effect of image post processing done inside the TV.

Settings like "motion flow" can cause it.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Horsers
Explorer

Hi @IamNic,

Thank you, that sounds like it exactly.
What is the ideal Motion flow to stop this from happening?

Many thanks

profile.country.IE.title
Crof21
New

@IamNic

I am having the tearing issue that you show in the example picture  in your reply. I run everything through my onkio tx- nr626 av receive I bought in 2014 which has HDMI ports which have 4K labels, into my xbr55x900E. Everything I use has the tearing( blue ray player Xbox one and Direct Tv)

If I run the hdmi from my direct tv box straight into my tv there is no tearing. The sound running through surround sound is fine through the av into hdmi arc. But the pictures from XB one and blue ray still tear.  The HDMI cables seem to be fine as I rotated them all trying to see if they were the issue. Is my 2014 AV receiver outdated or can I fix this tearing issue through my tv or receiver?

0D4B3332-49B3-4C85-ABF4-802602556616.jpeg

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Crof21,

that sounds like your receiver does output a different framerate than what the input originally has, chopping frames in two (or more).

The Xbox normally has a framerate of 60Hz, so your Onkio receiver needs to output 60Hz as well.

Check what it is set to.

- Nic