Join now - be part of our community!

55x8005c HDR

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
march83

55x8005c HDR

I played the test HDR clip from Life of Pi on my 55x8005c and it appears to switch to HDR mode. The picture looks good and I lose access to all picture controls. If I try change brightness or enter advanced settings it says feature not available. Is this normal behaviour for HDR content played back from a USB stick? Everything I can find says this model doesn't have HDR and I don't have my mention of HDR in picture settings but something seems to happen when playing this demo. 

16 REPLIES 16
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Sorry Turtle711, but if you press the action button on your remote and choose picture, there will be a HDR video listed along with all the other picture modes such as cinema, standard, game etc if your TV is HDR compatible.  You do not even need to be watching any HDR content to be able to see this setting or enable it. When watching a HDR video, you can press the action button on remote, choose picture and it should show HDR video as the picture setting currently selected. 

You definitely CAN change picture settings on downloaded HDR content if the TV in question is HDR compatible. Same goes for UHD HDR content streamed from Amazon Instant Video. 

Azure_Sky
Explorer

Hello,

I also purchased a KD-55x8005c

I reached out to Sony support to confirm if this model now supports HDR (September 2016).

I'm specially interested due to future PS4 Pro and HDR compatibility.

Sony confirmed (multiple times) that KD-55x8005c does now support HDR.

However, I can't find any HDR option on my TV menu.

Could you please help me confirm? Any idea?

Thanks,

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi @Azure_Sky,

I don't know what Sony channel you have used for this news but mine is different, X80C series is not HDR compatible:

http://presscentre.sony.co.uk/pressreleases/sony-expands-high-dynamic-range-compatible-range-on-2015...

Is this a my mistake or my news isn't up to date? I check if I can.

Manolo

Turtle711
Explorer

Sorry to say it doesn't support HDR even though Sony advertised it as having it, I've had an on going complaint with Sony about this and am now getting a Samsung instead as Sony's customer service is appalling and the fact they miss advertised the TV and then refuse to acknowledge this fact after I spent £1000 on the tv was really disgusting.

Azure_Sky
Explorer

Hello guys,

Thank you for your replies.

The channel I used is the Sony support (UK) by email.

They confirmed multiple times, but as Manolo says, all websites seems to confirm that x80C series never got HDR compatibility. Evendoe, Sony keeps confirming that it does.

Any way we can confirm this?

Something I should check on my TV options? I can't find anything so far.

Kind of frustrated here :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had it confirmed multiple times in the past.  Please have a read of this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-hdr-firmware-update-12th-april-kd49x8005cbu/td-p...

Cheers

Azure_Sky
Explorer

Hello Quinnicus,

Thanks for that thread. So there you confirm that my model 55x8005c does NOT support HDR.

Sorry to hear that. Sony keeps telling me via email-support that it does, but as I said I can't find any prove/option on the TV menus that prove it, so I guess you are probably right.

Thanks,