Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

Why don't they just call it

Android Nougat TV 7.0.0

then any minor update Android Nougat 7.0.1 etc

then any major update Android Nougat 7.1.0 etc

also give us an update schedule.

a full list of changes and features 

I do love my Sony Bravia 2015 model, KDL43W809C.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi So do I.. I have the KD-43X8307 2015 silver model.

I was one of the fortunate ones were the recent Marshmellow update worked 100% I did it via USB stick download and always do a factory reset.

Picture quality is better brighter picture and also that extra shaper

Generally a far better experience around and very stable as well.

Still room for improvement that will hopefully come in the next update Marshmallow MK due in the next coming weeks.

I still get some glitches and occasional snags but nothing like I had with Lollipop which realy did not work very well on the TV.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5 ™ smartphone
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Marcd51 wrote:

so, you obviously don't use USB ports

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@kinggo01 wrote:

@Marcd51 wrote:

so, you obviously don't use USB ports

Just because USB does not work as advertised does not mean he cannot get a far better experience. Not a very helpful post was it?

I don't stream or use USB and my experience is far better, but there is also quite a few bugs such as app crashing. Also Amazon Prime is pretty much useless with all the lip sync issues and stuttering.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Well folks after a bit of a sarcastic comment from a few users.

Remember I'm just expressing my experience I'm I not allowed to.

And btw why should this thread just be about people that have just negative posts all the time what's with that.

This forum is for everyone to express their experiences good or bad.

And just to reply from the previous post...

Yes I do in fact use a USB port.

I have my 500GB USB 3.0 external Harddisk attached to the USB 3.0 socket and all works perfectly fine.

I would also like to note that I also still have some bugs and snags but hey that's Andriod as an OS.. But I still love the platform.

Yes Sony have screwed up and yes alot of people are realy angry and may never buy a Sony TV agian. That's up to you.

I'm still a Sony fan and Andriod fan as I'm a bit of a tech head dispite the difficulties I had with this TV.

Iv also owned loads of Samsung and Panasonic products as well TV and phones but still prefer Sony TV 's hands down.
I new this when I brought this TV as I'm very familiar with Andriod OS and it's a revolutionary platform for TV

Just sharing my thoughts and opinions... Folks.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I have all three usb ports being used. An hdd for tv recording and two usb's for movies. All three work perfectly. There's an odd (and slightly annoying) tendency for people to think that because they have a problem then everyone does. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am unfortunately also suffering from severe USB problems since Marshmallow, see here.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Risc0n

well, sorry, but USB as internal storage is broken because disk goes missing.

USB as recording drive is broken because disk goes missing.

USB as external storage is not writeable.

USB as external storage for any app that requires path to files is broken because disk gets unmounted and the remounted with different ID and as such unavailable to the app.

Sure, TV is a bit faster and if it is only used for DVB-T than probably experience is better. If one doesn't mind broken "favourites". But this is supposed to be "smart" TV and USB issues makes that "smart" part almost impossible so I wouldn't call that "overall great experience".

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

All of your three statements about usb should have 'for me' added. As I said earlier it's annoying when people treat their issues as if its something everyone has. The fault seems to be a bad one but it's not a universal one. 

xanadu5579
Explorer

I take it the USB issue is TV dependant?

On mine I have no problems with USB on mine