Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@newbix wrote:

Sony are the same as Honda F1. They both haven't got a clue how to fix things.

Does anyone know who the Dev team is and where they are?

The problem with Sony is that make truly excellent hardware, better than all the competion. The X1 chip and their PQ are leagues ahead. What has pulled them down is the following:

1. All major decision are controlled by Japan.
  2. For years they have had crap software teams for al their products except PS4.
  3. Slow to react to issues
  4. They don't release public beta's.
  5. They don't engage with the community, ( @Anonymous is a unpaid volunteer )
  6. They make good hardware, but then go cheap on a key component. In this case the crappy CPU in the Android TV's.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Risc0n wrote:

@newbix wrote:

Sony are the same as Honda F1. They both haven't got a clue how to fix things.

Does anyone know who the Dev team is and where they are?

The problem with Sony is that make truly excellent hardware, better than all the competion. The X1 chip and their PQ are leagues ahead. What has pulled them down is the following:

1. All major decision are controlled by Japan.(Same as Honda)
  2. For years they have had crap software teams for al their products except PS4.
  3. Slow to react to issues(same as Honda)
  4. They don't release public beta's. (Honda F1 did for 2 years  :slight_smile: )
  5. They don't engage with the community, ( @Anonymous is a unpaid volunteer ) (same as Honda F1)
  6. They make good hardware, but then go cheap on a key component. In this case the crappy CPU in the Android TV's.

I can't see the 2015/16 TVs getting android 7 ever.

The CPU would be ok if Sony took out all the needless crap in their rom.

I mean it has loads of apps that was meant for mobile phones running.

They would sell more android TVs if it had cyanogen installed. Save face @Sony and get cyanogen to sort out this mess asap.

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Newbix wrote:

They would sell more android TVs if it had cyanogen installed. Save face @Sony and get cyanogen to sort out this mess asap.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I think you'll find Cyanogen and McMasters imploded last year and no longer exists. CyanogenMod was forked into LineageOS; but that is not the same.

What Sony should have done is to make their TV software open source so the developer community could pitch in. But you and others point out that is an anathema to them. In reality there is no bright future for Sony Android. Sony would be better off just producing monitors for us to use Nvidia TV with.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

Still no good news from Sony!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Sony is in the process of updating their statement - which should hopefully inform everyone of the current progress.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

That's good.. I only called up Sony UK tech support God knows how many times for them to let us know what's going on weather it's a week for us to wait or another month. Just to have the decency to keep us informed.

Fingers crossed

kind Regards,
Marc
[personal details removed by moderator]

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Very true been quite a for ages now.. Iv got a feeling they have to know sure when the update comes out this time they have to nail it big time!! otherwise they may in fact this time get into serious trouble.. Just a thought

I have a feeling that it should not be to long from now from.. Mmm 🤔

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi all

Sony is in the process of updating their statement - which should hopefully inform everyone of the current progress.

Cheers

Thanks dude. Maybe they will go straight  to android 7?

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

That’s a very good point !

Something that I was thinking about the other day .. If Marshmallow is causing that much of a headache for Sony and bricking a lot of TV’s or causing lots of bug problems still Sony should cut their losses and just do that .

>From my knowledge the new 3rd Gen 2017 ranges are coming equipped with android 7. Personally I think they should just bring the update forward and be done with it and bring all models 2015-2016 to Android Nougat .

Even with the 2015 and early 2016 models having the same chipset Nougat should still work 100% its how Sony implement their software so they now 2017 need to get their act together .

But ......that would be wishful thinking as Sony never seems to do the logical thing after all this trouble so far . It would be a nice surprise though .

I have said to Sony Tech UK recently that when they do realise the new Marshmallow 6.01 MK2 they really need now include the new Feb or March security patch update .

As of this week Sony Mobile have realised another new firmware update for my Xperia Z5 and now includes the new update Goggle March security update and new firmware build which brings my Xperia Z5 Nougat 7 even newer .

I also told Sony UK tech why ...why ...why can’s they take a leaf out of their own Mobile division which seems to be doing really well this year with updates in fact Sony mobile are ahead of Samsung getting these Nougat updates out almost every month now and my Xperia Z5 has never worked so well .
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Currently released E models (2017) are still based on last years' slow MT5891 SoC and Android 6 Marshmallow.

If Sony can't get Marshmallow under control, they won't have control over Nougat either.

Stop dreaming guys. Nougat is still several months away, only serving as an excuse today, pretending that Nougat will fix everything... Same old story...