Join now - be part of our community!

Android Bravia KD-55X8508C Problems

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Android Bravia KD-55X8508C Problems

1. Digital TV channel change, ocassionaly does not respond. MUST wait more than 10 seconds to respond.(Bad for children and wife that refuse to accept  that a so simple action(channel change) DOES NOT WORK)

2. Pressing remote control buttons, sometimes creates a double action. For example pressing once PROG + goes two channels UP. This is not an issue of the remote since RMF-TX100E does the same and I also tried a different universal remote that had the same behaviour.

3. Power ON for HDMI connected devices does not automatically activate specific HDMI input.(must do this manually)

4. HD movies during playback and mainly on dark scenes, issues very annoying ON-OFF dimming although Light Sensor is OFF and Automatic Picture is not Enabled.

5. Exiting from TV GUIDE sometimes stucks and there is no picture for more than 10 seconds.

6. Selecting a specific device for an HDMI input e.g. Blu-ray on HDMI3, produces DOUBLE input icon in Home Screen until reboot(e.g. HDMI3 and Blu-ray icon which are the same)

7. 4K HDMI Signal Improvement for an HDMI input e.g. DVD, produce an unviewable small picture and NOT a 4K upscaled(improved)

8. Recording does not work. Will be available before 29th February 2016 ( http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73499/~/upcoming-services-for-so... ).

9. Netflix does not work in Greece

10. Youview does not exist anywhere as included software.

11. Sometimes User Picture setting is lost and is set automatically to Normal for the same Input.

12. Very very few software for Android TV. It is unacceptable for example to have the choice of only one browser(Opera) and not Chrome or Firefox. Also there is no OPTIONS at all inside apps. In Opera e.g. you cannot set a Home Page.

13. Search, for example in YouTube does not return a result although you can see the app thumb on your screen. It has something to do with case sensitive font texting.

14 Adding an external keyboard, completely removes the screen keyboard and you cannot use remote control for typing.

I believe most problems are Android related but ALL classic TV and Inputs functions should be independent from OS. If Sony programmers cannot take advantage of Android features they can optionally remove it or offer another OS e.g. Linux or Windows.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Point 2 - are you using an IR Blaster?  If so, there is a reported issue for this.  If not, the most likely cause is user error im afraid (i.e. keeping your finger on the button for too long)

Point 3 - ensure that your products are compatible with HDMI-CEC and turn on Bravia Sync or Control for HDMI.  And then check the settings to ensure auto on is enabled

Point 4 - Turn OFF adv contrast enhancer in the advanced picture settings

Point 6 - Fault already reported. HERE

Point 9 - Not Sony issue, Netflix not available in Greece.  Google it.

Point 10 - YouView is for the UK only.

Point 12 - You can side load other apps like browsers from the web based play store using TV Sideload Launcher - on play store too.

Point 13 - Not Sony issue but YouTube

Point 14 - Not Sony issue, this is by design by Google Android.  Happens on my Android tablet too.

misonr
New

tv programs won't store after turn off. I find my programs, store it on e.g. on 001 - 012. But when I turn TV on after e.g. 2 hours, I have just few programs, in weird order e.g. on 036 - 041.

I have installed the newest firmware... any advice?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Thank you for your response.

For point 2. I am not using an IR Blaster. This is impossible to happen to all five persons.

For point 3. This is an LG BD550 and it's SIMPLINK(HDMI-CEC).Sync Menu for that device does not allow control of selected device although enabled as Blu-ray(Can not enable or disable AUTO). I don't believe if it is an HDMI physical port problem, because auto input change worked on my previous 8 year old TV.

For point 4. Set to medium and I will check some movies tonight.

For point 6. Already reported in October, but not fixed in December firmware update.

For point 12. Tried and added apps the way you suggest. Remote touchpad RMF-TX100E seems not compatible with some of them.

I will also add a:

15. External mouse does not work(no scrol no click) on Home Screen but only inside apps.

16. What about apps In the background? Are there any, and how they can be removed, alike an android tablet where you press and hold home button until they appear?

17. USB inputs(1,2,3) are inputs but we do not see them at Home Screen->Inputs. In general we do not have a kind of Explorer for our USB sticks or disks. The only way to see what's inside them and select to watch is ES file explorer but it does not work ok on android tv or we have to rest on what included android video or audio or picture programs find after centuries of searching inside the usb disks or sticks. Very bad and annoying.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Another serious and possible future problem is lower LCD part OVERHEAT.

Temperature measured after two hours of operation on lower metal case is almost 60 degrees C which is not acceptable especially in winter time.

I could hear in a silent room, from the first moment I turned On this TV many unusual noises(clicks) caused by starting heated that stopped more than an hour later.

At the beginning I tried to find out where it was coming from by touching the back upper cover of the television where I could not feel any heat, but today I incidentally touched the lower case of the LCD which includes the infra led and noticed that it was overheated.

I measured the temperature with a temperature probe and multimeter and it was almost 60 degrees C. Touching is affordable which is usually safe for electronics but by experience this is too much and I cannot imagine what will happen in summer time.

I am an electronic engineer and I know that not dissipated high temperature always destroys electronic devices after a period of time. Capacitors may explode, IC's may explode, plastic parts are deformed.

On all my previous TV sets heat was dissipated through holes at the back of TV cover and upwards. This does not happen here. Here no heat comes out of back cover upper holes but remains and dissipated on lower part of case(metal not cover holes) and downwards. Possibly the LCD inverter board.

Electronic parts have very high temperature limits but after a long not ventilated period heat destroys everything.

I believe that heat will soon destroy the LCD if no board electronic part explodes first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry for the delay - In regards to the heat/click issue, i have escalated this to Sony Support as im a little concerned too.  Someone should be in contact with you this week.

Cheers

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Thank you sir for your interest and support.

I am impressed with that television and the main reason is Picture quality, Sound quality, Design and quality of parts even if it is a "low budget" according to Sony standards.

I dont't know if overheat could be a matter of software(firmware) because this is very rare for electronic devices and that could only happen if firmware someway adjusted upper and lower voltages limits of boards, ic's or processors. I hope this happens in our case.

I also hope next firmware will solve many issues reported by community related to Android(OS or standard TV functions) which is surely not difficult for Sony programmers. Rebooting or "factory reset" is surely not the solution especially for problems like channel change complete stuck and other simple function problems. Very rare but they exist.