Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV - WiFi and Ethernet Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Android TV - WiFi and Ethernet Issues

Hi All

I have noticed that there are some people reporting issues with network connectivity.

Please reply back in this thread with your issue.  Please also list your tv model and all relevent information.

Cheers

203 REPLIES 203
nosh118
Explorer

@Anonymous, unfortunately, I am unable to do so as the one cable we are using for wireless HDMI relaying was put in when my house was being redone and I am unable to wire another cable to the router. Any other solutions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nosh118

OK - so wired is out at this moment.

Wireless - Have you ever had this TV connected to the internet via Wireless?

Go through the Wireless Setup and choose 'Custom' instead of 'Easy' or something like that.  Go through the settings untill you get to DNS.  Use the DNS servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Also try disabling Wifi-Direct as another poster (Jecht_sin) above states.

If that still doesnt work, I would suggest a Factory reset of the TV - which will clear all settings.

Also, Sony has collated a few FAQ's which may help or give ideas too:

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136765/

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@nosh118 still, to see if that moves things, for testing purpose only I'd try to connect the television via ethernet (temporarely using the cable from another device). If that connects you are a step forward. If disconnecting the cable the Ethernet connection goes away then you should be all set.

Another thing you may try is to boot in safe mode and see if that helps moving things around. Otherwise do yourself a favor and restore to factory settings. I know it's a pain, but without an ethernet cable connected it should never show the ethernet connection. Something must have gone nut in the OS. And other things might be messed up as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

When I had similer problems I finally cured it by switching trhe TV off at the plug and leaving it overnight. I rebooted the router before switching it back on. After that it's been stable. I've no idea why unless leaving it off for a ling time made the router foreget it. I connect using two ethernet over mains devices having given up with the wifi. You don't need the superfast ones, there's some for around £35.00 at Maplins (TP Link).

On my router you can log on and see what devices are connected or at least the router thinks are connected, it might be worth having a look, mine often said the TV was connected when it wouldn't work. The other thing that occasionally would kick the TV into life was to open the Browser app, obviously it should fail but often it didn't and then everything else started working.

All very unscientific! best of kuck

m40marc
New

No network on my KD-55X8509C

The TV will not conect to my Wi Fi Stating wrong Wi Fi password

Password is corect

Right pain in the ***** !

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

word of warning I am a bit of a Technophobe and only really use the wifi to watch Netflix

many thanks Marc

Tembaga22
New

From Peter@vinicombe

I have a Sony KDL-43W805C Android TV (in next room to roTV menu I am advised that the TV does not have a fixed ip address: Can this be why I have the problem and what ip address should I enter?

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Tembaga22

Unfortunately you have not described the problem you are having - but in general giving the TV a fixed ip address wouldnt solve the problem.  However sometimes setting a different DNS does and the give the TV a different DNS server settings, you have to set a fixed ip address :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.CA.title
KC2684
Explorer

I have a SONY XBR55850D. It connectes both to WiFi and ethernet (hardwired), however the ethernet connection dropps after a few hours. The WiFi is solid.

profile.country.GB.title
Philip1966
New

My friend said his wifi wasn't working on 50 inch sony tv I have the same tv when I checked neither was mine I've had to do a factory reset to get the tv to connect to the Internet only worried when it updates again I will have the same problem 

profile.country.GB.title
chrismacp
Explorer

My ethernet stopped working all of a sudden. Not sure exactly when it happened and if there was an update involved but I just solved it so adding this in case it helps someone else.

If your ethernet says it is connected but you get connection errors when trying to access online content, say with Netflix, then check the Date and Time is set correctly. 

My date & time settings seems to have reverted to last year for some reason.