Join now - be part of our community!

ARC

profile.country.GB.title
Huggybear0
Explorer

ARC

I would like to know if I can connect my

KD-49XF8096  tv to a Sony sound box HT-XT2 using just HDMI and not the optical cable. I believe the sound through HDMI is better. I have tried connecting the HDMI cable to HDMI 3 outlet on the tv but I get no sound unless I connect the optical cable.
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Huggybear0,

did you check that your HDMI-cable supports ARC?

Not all cables do.

Also please verify your TVs audio settings are set accordingly.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Huggybear0 wrote:

I would like to know if I can connect my

KD-49XF8096  tv to a Sony sound box HT-XT2 using just HDMI and not the optical cable. I believe the sound through HDMI is better. I have tried connecting the HDMI cable to HDMI 3 outlet on the tv but I get no sound unless I connect the optical cable.

Assuming HDMI 3 is the, or an, ARC-enabled HDMI port on the TV, then yes, it ought to work. And even if the sound were the same as via optical, ARC is a much more seamless and intuitive way to go about it,

Make sure you have set things up as in your HT-XT2 manual, and that you are using a High Speed HDMI cable, and if you still get no sound, then work through this trouble-shooting Guide.  Do let us know how you get on, (and what the problem was, if the above solves it).

NB: I’ve never seen an HDMI cable that didn’t support ARC. Even before ARC was defined, in the HDMI 1.4 spec, HDMI cables had to carry the wire that was going to support it, even though nobody had yet decided what it was for.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Huggybear0
Explorer

Hi I got it working by rebooting the tv. But when I turn of the TV in sleep mode then switch it on the sound does not work. If I re boot the TV it’s fine again. Doing research it seems a number are saying they are having problems with Oreo 8.0 so I am now wondering if it is that and when an update comes it will work again.