Ibrarhussain
Explorer

Background apps

How do you close background  apps  on oreo 8.0 on sony TV

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

One of the easiest way is to use an app like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.visnkmr.bapl to guide you through the standard feature ofr closing app on Oreo

profile.country.GB.title
impaler81
Explorer

Fantastic. Install an app, to close other apps.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

There is no need to close app on Android indeed according to Google. It won't speed up the system. But if you like to do it and you don't want to go app by app you can use that app (that brings you to the standard feature). There is another way but it is far more complex and IMHO useless anyway

profile.country.GB.title
impaler81
Explorer

I'm sorry, but that is just not true.

If it is true, then why is it that if I plug in a bluetooth keyboard, ALT+TAB my way to the background app cycle screen (the part of the O/S that every single android device, running any version of Android has access to), and click the little crosses against each app using the touch pad that just happens to be a part of the keyboard, I can close the likes of Prime, Spotify, Plex, web browser etc that have built up throughout the day, and finally, when I do so, other apps that I was unable to open before hand (i.e. Netflix and even YouTube), mysteriously open once I've closed everything down? Priot to that, the likes of Netflix and YouTube would just get stuck on their respective loading screens.

Until you close a bunch of apps that are running in the background, running up a cache, using up RAM, you will notice a drop in overall performance and less chance of opening further apps. The fact the interface that allows you to do this is still there, yet you say the O/S ignores background apps, is a complete joke. The fact Sony has REMOVED this feature while the likes of other Oreo running devices haven't (ie Nvidia Shield) is an even bigger joke.

Nougat worked great, I could pick up my Sony remote, hold down the Home button, view all the background apps and just press "left" or "right" on the remote and they would swipe away, freeing up resources - it would take all of 5 seconds to do so and was seamless.

Now, I have to restart the device, wait for it to boot up, chances are the apps will still actually load, but I'll have to wait 3 minutes to find out - OR, get off my backside, plug a bluetooth keyboard in, and access the facility that way - every.damn.day.

Who, at Sony, thought that kind of user experience is an improvement?

Because Sony have removed a feature that no one asked to be removed, or, they messed up and forgot to map remote buttons to  the facility, they have turned my £2000 TV into a frustrating piece of junk.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I do not joke. Android tv is a google product features are not removed by sony. You are free to waste your time killing any app you want.
Still ranting about oreo features after two years...unbelievable 
profile.country.GB.title
impaler81
Explorer

I bought the TV in March '20, the Oreo update occurred for me in June '20. I have not been ranting for 2 years. I am totally new to Oreo on a TV.

I'm aware it's a Google product, but I'm also aware Sony make modifications to the Google product they install. Other devices that use Oreo, such as the Nvidia Shield, allow for the app closing feature. So your response raises two questions:

1) why do Sony TV's not have this feature if other devices running Oreo do?

2) If Oreo doesn't require you to close background apps and Google decides what features are present (as per your opinion), why is the feature present within Oreo on other devices?

There is no clear answer to this out there. People simply speculate, just as you are. The fact of the matter is, open background applications use resources and compute - and Sony's iteration of Oreo 2 years after it was released is still causing the kind of symptoms you would expect when a device is bogged down with open applications.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@impaler81  ha scritto:

I bought the TV in March '20, the Oreo update occurred for me in June '20. I have not been ranting for 2 years. I am totally new to Oreo on a TV.

I don't know which tv model you have (surely not a 2020 model in any case and probably a warehouse old stock if it still had nougat) but Android 8.0 is out there since 2 years and you can find in the community lots of comment at the time on why it was not there anymore. So it maybe new for you, but old enough to get information all over without reopeing the question. And using an harsh tone answering to a one year old post

I'm aware it's a Google product, but I'm also aware Sony make modifications to the Google product they install. Other devices that use Oreo, such as the Nvidia Shield, allow for the app closing feature.

So your response raises two questions:

1) why do Sony TV's not have this feature if other devices running Oreo do?

2) If Oreo doesn't require you to close background apps and Google decides what features are present (as per your opinion), why is the feature present within Oreo on other devices?

You reversed the actual situation: Google hidden the feature (that is the standard mobile one not the Android tv leanback feature present in Nougat) and Nvidia added a shortcut to it, not that Sony removed it. So ask the Nvidia community why they think they need it, you may get some clarification

There is no clear answer to this out there. People simply speculate, just as you are. The fact of the matter is, open background applications use resources and compute 

There are clear answers anyware you want to look for, and if you know something about operating systems and Android in particular you should know that resources are handled by the operating system that decides which app to stop whenever it needs CPU and/or RAM without user intervention. You should be aware that closing down any app in a mobile phone doesn't speed up it and in case your system needs resources you may find that the video your were looking in youtube some hours ago is gone and the app restart if you run it. The force stop function (still available) is still useful since app maybe bugged and can' have behaviours that make it malfunction or even affect the whole system: so you may want to stop it.

and Sony's iteration of Oreo 2 years after it was released is still causing the kind of symptoms you would expect when a device is bogged down with open applications.

Probably you bought a model that was not right for your use. All recent and best products from Sony use a faster SoC and Android Pie.