Join now - be part of our community!

CES - Announcement of Sony ULTRA 4k Movies and TV Streaming Service

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

CES - Announcement of Sony ULTRA 4k Movies and TV Streaming Service

Hi,

I hope you all watched the excellent CES Sony Keynote.

Does anyone know if the Sony ULTRA 4K Movies and TV Streaming Service mentioned in the CES Sony Keynote will come to the UK and will I be able to get it on my Sony 4K TV KD49X8005CBU? I hope it's not US only!

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will be available on 2015 and 2016 Android based TVs.  No mention of geographical regions.  who knows.

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi, thanks. Fingers crossed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Costeta

From press release:

Additionally, at its press conference, Sony unveiled ULTRA, a new app from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to be launched this year in the US. With ULTRA, you can purchase and stream 4K HDR movies and TV shows – the best new and classic titles from the 4K digital library of Sony Pictures – directly on your Sony BRAVIA TV.

Note where i highlighted in bold.

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi,

Oh crikey what a shame not in the UK. Thanks for letting me know.

DecentJam
New

I know this is a bit of an old topic now but has there been any update on this service being rolled out to the UK/other countries? I've just joined the club, so to speak, with an XD80 and am looking at where I can get content. I've sent a few questions of to Sony support but there doesn't seem to be a lot of clear guidance at the moment.

Feel free to point me in the direction of some sticky topics if I've missed a useful FAQ on the subject.

profile.country.GB.title
Costeta

Hi,

No Sony Ultra has not expanded to the UK. I've also been waiting for 4k Google Movies to expand to the UK but this has not yet happened. Check out Ultraflix.com. Other than that the only other sources of 4k is You tube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Movies or SKy Q. 

I buy 4k Blu rays discs and watch them once and then sell them with CEX. A bit like renting. If you go for recent movies you get a good sale price with CEX. Works out costing about £10 a 4k movie which I think is pretty reasonable.

Finally I'm hoping Apple will do an updated Apple TV soon with 4k movies on iTunes in the UK but that might be wishfull thinking.