Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting multiple devices through a single HDMI cable - Sony KD-55X8507C

profile.country.GB.title
dtewkesb
New

Connecting multiple devices through a single HDMI cable - Sony KD-55X8507C

Hi all, need your help.

I have a lovely new KD-55X8507C TV Which I had mounted on the wall.

The guy mounting it said I only needed one HDMI cable and routed it in, and it's now been decorated over.  Looks lovely but I've tried a couple of switch boxes and none seem to do the trick.

I have the following devices:

1. Talktalk HD recorder

2. Apple TV gen 3 (I think)

3. Sony blue ray 5 speaker surround system.

I purchased a very good HDMI cable and each of the devices work on their own.  However, I've tried a couple of HDMI switches and they dont switch automatically which is what I want.  One was a small box from Ebay, and the screen sixes were too small.  The newer one from Amazon appears to be all singing and all dancing and still doesnt auto switch.  It works fine and the pics are ok if i use the remote or button on the device.

Also, I used to be able to get the tv sound through the sound system so cant.

I also used to think I knew about stuff like this but now I'm foxed!!.  So calling out for help from the experts.

So my questions.

1. Can I get away with using just the 1 HDMI cable for all devices

2. If so, which HDMI port on the TV should I use

3. Can anyone recommend a good HDMI switch that will auto sense and switch when a device is switched on, send a signal etc etc

4. How can I get the TV sound back through my sound system.

All ideas and suggestions gratefully recieved!!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Call the guy who mounted it, and ask him to explain why he said that 😞

Also why the chased-in cable run wasn't in a tube you could run at least two more cables down. Or maybe it was, and you just need him to come over with his mouse and run them for you.

I have only one HDMI cable going to my TV, but this depends on :-

(i) my Yamaha YSP2500 soundbar has three HDMI inputs;

(ii) and one HDMI output that does 4K passthrough and supports ARC sound return from the TV;

(iii) this cable is connected to an HDMI input on the TV that supports ARC;

so if you can't plug your other kit into the bluray surround system, you are SOOL. What model is it, by the way.?

But even though my soundbar is pretty nifty at autoswitching, it can still be caught out, and need me to use its remote to select the correct input.

Your HDMI switch box has a further complication if you are relying on ARC return, as it would need to feed that return down the 'unused' connection to the bluray surround system, while you were using a different input, perhaps to watch the HD recorder, say. I don't know if any of them can do that.

You could maybe try a digital optical cable connection to the TV, for the bluray surround, as long as one isn't S/PDIF only and the other coax only; digital optical should be as good as ARC over HDMI, soundwise. Still a cable dangling, but probably just a thin one.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
scockles
New

Hi, l  have a smart TV, to which a hard drive recorder is connected and works well. I have just purchased a

Sony UBP-X700 Blue ray player and am at a lose how to connect this to my recorder and TV. Please advice how l link all three together and any equipment l may require. Kind regards. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@scockles 

The hard drive recorder is unlikely to be able to record anything from the Blu-Ray player.

So no point daisy-chaining them; just plug the Blu-Ray player into one of the other HDMI ports on the TV.

I expect you have figured, though, that you should daisy-chain the aerial feed, so it goes wall socket to Aerial In of the recorder, and then, with a second aerial lead, female to male, Aerial Out on the recorder to Aerial In on the TV?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…