Join now - be part of our community!

do i need to turn on hdmi enhance for bdp-s7200 and sky q silver?

profile.country.GB.title
mgarrucho
New

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

For the Sky Q Silver you can switch it on - ensure that you use a highspeed (4K) HDMI cable.  For non-4K products like the BDP-S7200, no.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

For the Sky Q Silver you can switch it on - ensure that you use a highspeed (4K) HDMI cable.  For non-4K products like the BDP-S7200, no.

Cheers

Note that (i) any HMDI cable rated for high-speed will do - 'premium' 4K-rated HDMI cables are selling you snake oil at needlessly inflated prices

(ii) even 4K Sony products like the BDP-S6700 cede the upscaling of 1080p material to Sony TVs, by default.

So HDMI Enhance is only needed for true 4K material, not upscaled, from third party products and Sony products alike. If Sony bring out anything native 4K, of course.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

@royabrown

The industry has kinda made a fubar in regards to the naming/logos on HDMI cables in my opinion - between version numbers and 'high speed' to throughput speed and now specifying 4K on packaging.  

Sony Pictures have been releasing 4K blurays - but just need to await their long awaited player 'Sometime this year' has been the answer since January.  The perfect opportunity in my opinion to announce this is at IFA next month.  Fingers crossed. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

@royabrown

The industry has kinda made a fubar in regards to the naming/logos on HDMI cables in my opinion - between version numbers and 'high speed' to throughput speed and now specifying 4K on packaging.  

Sony Pictures have been releasing 4K blurays - but just need to await their long awaited player 'Sometime this year' has been the answer since January.  The perfect opportunity in my opinion to announce this is at IFA next month.  Fingers crossed. 

Yes, we only really need one sort of HDMI cable - high speed with Ethernet - which could maybe come in two varieties, 'perfectly serviceable' and 'premium', the latter being those with fancy ends, or studded with Swarovski crystals, or whatever.

i do hope Sony give you one of their new 4K players, ready for the deluge of questions on here about them. They can give me one as well, if they like, so I can help a bit 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
chrgray

@Quinnicus wrote:

For the Sky Q Silver you can switch it on - ensure that you use a highspeed (4K) HDMI cable.

@Anonymous,what does switching on ENHANCED actually do?  Even with the HDMI input set to STANDARD, I can still select 10-bit mode on Sky Q.  Surely 2160p50 10-bit 4:2:0 should only be available if the HDMI input is in ENHANCED mode, but on my TV it works perfectly well in STANDARD mode.  This setting seems to have no affect at all.

According to http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/112975/ any 10-bit format needs ENHANCED mode, but that's not how it works in practice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that its needed for:

• HDR
  • The video signals highlighted in red in the link you posted.

Let me see if i can find more info.

chrgray

@Quinnicus wrote:
Let me see if i can find more info.

Anything?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry I havnt got back to you.  Unfortunatley I could not get hold of any 'useful' documentation.  I have 1 document, but it does not explain or answer your question.  Unfortunately Sony can be very secretive on details and explainations and I guess this is one of them.

cheers