Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI problems: No Signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT buttons

Roots2018
New

HDMI problems: No Signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT buttons

I couple of months ago, I upgraded and replaced my old perfectly working TV with a smart TV: Sony TV KD-55XD8577 bought as brand new. I plugged in Sky HD+ box into HDMI 1, Xbox One into HDMI 2 and external audio system into HDMI 4(ARC). Everything works perfectly well except that the HDMI continues to give me endless headaches. The problem is that I constantly receive the ‘No Signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT buttons’ comment at the bottom right hand corner of the TV. It is annoying because I cannot watch anything using HDMI without first having to physically turn off TV, unplug and reconnect TV from the mains before it starts working again. The TV works fine for Netflix, YouTube or Amazon that do not require HDMI connection. The TV does recognize everything plugged into the HDMI ports but just does not work without disconnecting from the mains before watching something. I have made countless phone calls Sony customer support, I have tried everything but the issue remains unresolved. I have twice done factory resetting after updating and installing the latest software and firmware for the TV. I have tested the cables with the old TV and they worked perfectly fine, leaving me to suspect that the problem could be with Sony Bravia HDMI software. I asked Sony people to tell me if anyone has complained about this issue before but I might as well water a rock and expect it to answer. I have scoured the internet and online forums hoping to find something but still no luck. If anyone has any idea about how I can solve this problem (or are experiencing the same issue) please do let me know via the comments below, thanks.
23 REPLIES 23
Veolan
Explorer

Same issue here. I had the problem initially on the TV when I first purchased. Then it went away for almost 4-5 months! I was switching between HDMI inputs with no problem. 

Now all of sudden I’m not able to use HDMI 2 unless I unplug everything, shutdown and wait. Even then it’s now hit or miss.

It’s frustrating because the TV does see there’s a device plugged in, it just won’t accept the signal. 

itldn85
New

Very similar issue here. 

Had my Bravia about a year. Only has 2 HDMI inputs so I use HDMI ARC for my soundbar and then plug my Chromecast into that. HDMI 2 is my PS4 which works fine.

It's been somewhat tempremental for a long time with the chromecast, sometimes needing me to turn the TV off and on before picture shows instead of the "no signal" message but it's now constant. It lists the input as Chromecast so obviously recognises it's plugged in, but won't take the input from it. 

Add to that Netflix won't load for the first few minutes after I turn on the TV either, seems to me there's probably been a dodgy firmware update which has nerfed some of the working functions.

Dizzi45Z
New

I just purchased a Sony X930e TV and I Love the TV except I am having these exact same issues with using it as a display from my computer. I have swapped cables, displays and everything and it appears the problem is on the Sony TV side. 😞 I've used it for about a week and somedays it works amazingly well and then other days it will give me a huge headache by giving the "No signal. Check the..." message. I then can usually somehow get it to work after turning things off and on and plugging into multiple inputs etc. As mentioned by other people, it does show that it has an input, it just says that there is no signal when I know there is.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll probably be returning it. 😞

profile.country.ZA.title
michaelkongz40
New

Hi 👋 pleasant good day I haven't reach there yet but what I did registered
my smart TV on my Google account so for but I will let u know later on
profile.country.GB.title
BrianDuggan
New

I recently downloaded a new Sony update (to my two year old Bravia 4K OLED) and ever since have ben having the same problem:  the tv doesn't recognize anything from any of the inputs. I don't even get a No signal message.  I have tried different inputs, devices  and HDMI cables, and comcast came out and upgraded my cable box, but still nothing.  Also, a large percentage of the buttons on the remote stoped working.  I can go "back", but I can't directly go "home".  So perhaps the remote is part of the problem if the tv isn't getting the instruction to change inputs. Its like Sony decided to cut the cord with Comcast for me, as all my smart tv apps seems to work fine--just no inputs.  All input welcome on this--Sony is being no help at all, despite their update causing the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
richmoss77
Explorer

Sounds like I also have a similar issue.

I have a KD-49XF9005 connected to my soundbar. Sky Q to soundbar (arc) and TV to the other hdmi. I'm constantly losing signal and my TV is going blank. It's like the signal has disappeared between sky and TV because it's passing through the soundbar.

If I change the configuration and have TV to Sky Q and TV connected to Arc I get massive lip sync issues.

I'm getting frustrated with the setup and quality of these Sony products.  

profile.country.GB.title
dorothysony
Explorer

My KT-49X97073 worked well with my Panasonic Blu-ray disc player HAD recorder until recently .Now I'm getting this message and nothing seems to rectify it .

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I have been having the same issue with an Apple TV 4K for some time already. Every other day, the BRAVIA wouldn't detect the input and show the mentioned message. The TV has to be rebooted in such case.

I have also tried several HDMI cables including Premium certified ones.

profile.country.GB.title
dorothysony
Explorer

What did you do to reboot your TV 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Long-pressing the power button.