Join now - be part of our community!

Is the Oreo update for TVs safe?

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Is the Oreo update for TVs safe?

I’ve just received an emal from Sony inciting me to update my TV to Android Oreo.  My TV has automatic updates turned off because past updates had bugs which disrupted the TV functionality.  I have seen large numbers of posts on here saying the Oreo update is buggy and has disrupted many functions from video playback to sound and ARC.  Does the Sony email inviting updating mean that the Oreo update is now fixed and safe to use.....  or is it still risky?  Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Sony stopped the OTA rollout ... again

yeah, it's a shame. But for people like me using the TV nearly exclusively as a monitor (and for YouTube...) I feel that after disabling quite some useless bloatware (and Netflix) the OS is finally a bit snappier! I can get into settings from "Action Menu" button in less than a second, even from inside YouTube. The volume bar instead is more broken than ever. Even doing simple clicks it may jump 4-5 levels (I had mistaken it for being snappier, originally).

Then I don't know if it is due to the recent Android updates, the tvOS updates or Netflix finally doing it right, but Netflix (from the ATV 4K) in HDR 90% of times looks just... great! I still get the lights spread all over the screen in few scenes, but without local dimming I am afraid there is little to do. And all together the average result is quite good. It used to be simply awful.

profile.country.GB.title
wuyuankai

I suggest wait for the next update, as my 55XF90 tv now reboot itself everytime when I turn on, especially after a long  standby.