Join now - be part of our community!

KD43XD8088BU output to receiver via HDMI ARC and/or Optical Out.

marweir36
Explorer

KD43XD8088BU output to receiver via HDMI ARC and/or Optical Out.

Hi all. My first attempt at sending 5.1 to my receiver was to use ARC HDMI out from the TV.

This created a few issues and oddities. 

The TV could see the Onkyo HTX-22HDX in its Bravia sync menu and labelled it as "audio device" but it would only send stereo sound to it from the built in Netflix & Amazon Prime apps. 

Apple TV > HDMI > TV > ARC > Reciever would give me 5.1 however

In this set up the tv wouldn't change from TV speakers to audio device despite sound actually coming out of my Onkyo speakers. 

My second set up was to do Optical Out to the receiver. Again changing TV speakers to audio device option wouldn't work and I had no sound at all from the receiver. 

I then turned off Bravia sync which at last allowed me to change from TV speakers and I got 5.1 to the reciever from Netflix and Prime apps. 

But now of course I give up HDMI auto switch when a deivce is turned on like say the PS4. 

Has anyone else had experiences with ARC going so wrong and any ideas? 

NB: The reason I don't just put all HDMI devices into the receiver is because I woud lose HDR from the PS4 as the receiver is old 1.4. 

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have a Sony AV Receiver (STR-DH820) going to my TV via ARC (KD-55XD8577) and I have had no problem getting 5.1 audio from Netflix.  I cant test Amazon as im not subscribed to their video service.

The first couple of things to do is to:

• Ensure that your TV is on the latest firmware
  • Go to the Google Play store on the TV and ensure that there are no further updates to installed apps (i.e. Netflix).
  • Do a full factory reset of the TV.
  • Test.

If it still fails, remove all other connected devices to the TV, except the Onkyo to the TV via HDMI-ARC and test.  This is to ensure that another device is not interferring with the HDMI signal in any way.  Also on the Onkyo, set the listening mode to "Direct" as this turns off all sound processing effects as far as I believe.

Can I assume you have set the ARC (Audio Return Channel) to "Auto" on the Onkyo?

Optical also does not support the higher resolution audio formats such as DTS-HDMA or Dolby True HD.

Cheers

marweir36
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. 

I've cycled through all the input selections on my Onkyo including Direct but it just stays at Direct, no indication of what format it's decoding. When I cycle the selections one does come up (which is new) is ARC and its listening modes are all versions of Stereo input (Pro Logic II for e.g.). 

ARC is set to auto on my reciever. 

TV is all up to date, only got it last week and first thing I let it do was update. But I must check the store for updates, never thought of that. 

I'll try just a solo conenction and then a rest and see how I do. 

Thanks!