Join now - be part of our community!

Please share your opinions about your experience with your Android TV

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Please share your opinions about your experience with your Android TV

Hello everyone

As a valued member of the Sony Community, we would like to invite you to share your opinions about your experience with us and your Android TV.

Your participation in this important research will help us improve the service we offer to you and other Sony customers in the future.

This project is being conducted by an independent market research agency, Simpson Carpenter, on behalf of Sony Europe.

We are looking for five people to take part in a 20-30 minute telephone conversation with an interviewer from Simpson Carpenter as well as self-recording a short video (2-3 minutes) summarising your views, opinions and experiences of your Android TV.

As a token of our appreciation, upon completion of the interview, participants will receive a cash incentive, Amazon Voucher or contribution to a charity of your choice to the value of £40.

Your responses are entirely confidential and will remain anonymous. The data collected will be used solely to improve the services we offer.

If you would like to participate, please let us know as soon as possible by clicking here. The link will take you to a very short questionnaire to confirm that you fit the criteria for this particular project.

We will close the research once we reach the desired number of participants, so please reply as soon as possible. If you have any questions, or want to confirm that this is a bona fide piece of research, you are welcome to contact me by PM.

Kind regards

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
montyray
Explorer

Got a KD43XE8396 bought late 2017. Updated software to PK6.5830.0205 yesterday via USB. Since then the SWAP button looses its memory. Never returns to previous channel. Drops you into a random channel when pressed. Just ocassionally it returns to the previous channel number. Use mostly FREESAT because local region is not available on FREEVIEW. Everything worked fine before the update with no problems. Anyone else had this problem with update to OREO 8? No problems with off air previous updates.

profile.country.GR.title
micalfisti

Hi @Peter_S. 

You already know that our experience with Sony Android TV is the worst ever and this concerns not the TV as hardware, picture, but specifically the always problematic software and Updates.

Tell us one reason why should someone update the initial software. New software never solves previous issues 100% but also adds new issues and sometimes brings back older issues. A kind of circulating issues.

ATV1 And ATV2 had tenths of issues that have not been solved, they have been hidden nowdays by Sony because they want to show a clean face so that they will promote their new models.

Issues are almost the same for older and new ones Android TVs. I see issues in newer sets that are exactly the same with my "old" KD55X8508C. This means that programmers just don't do their job well. This means that they do not give attention at all to users complaining. This means that Sony Support Centers do not forward issues to programmers and in some cases like mine they say that this forum and others do not exist for them and they never read issues or recognize Experts or Contributors or Solutions or whatever.

Downgrading those TVs is not possible. This is another huge problem. Someone suddenly loses functionality or discovers a new problem that did not exist with previous software but cannot go back. He must wait for a new firmware that might solve the new issues. Might solve, not sure, because programmers may not be informed. This takes months. Remember issue with HDR dimming issue. This took months.

Users do not want experiments. They want a fully operational TV because they paid too much for this. They did not buy a cheep China 4K UHD HDR Dolby Surround etc etc 300 euros Television. They bought a brandt that they used to trust, some of us for more than 40 years and now we are dissapointed.

Kind regards

Michael

profile.country.GB.title
montyray
Explorer

Michael, you have summed up all Sony TV buyers problems nicely, paticulary mine. Soon after buying this KD43XE8396 which is advertised as having a "IPS" panel (it most certainly hasn't!)  Costing £600 to buy, I almost slung the damn thing in the bin. Having had a 27" Sony Profeel for over 20 years without a single problem this heap of rubbish was a terrible shock. Not only was it Soooo slow at doing everything particularly at changing channels, and,  the "smart" software was only interested in extracting money at every opportunity, along with personal viewing habits which in every case I declined to participate. I mainly use FREESAT and there appears to be NO proper TV Guide for FREESAT unlike the TV Guide for FREEVIEW. 

After update to OREO 8, now, the "SWAP" button looses it start and current position which is a pain when on FREESAT where channel numbers can reach the 9000s!

I honestly wish I had never bought this heap of rubbish. But now having updated to newer OREO 8 software I have faults that I never had before.

Have you any Idea when Sony will issue an update to correct all the faults they have introduced in OREO 8  that didn't exist previously?    All that was necessary was for the software guys to have speed up all operations.

Clearly Sony isn't interested in purchasers / users once they have sold the TV.

profile.country.GR.title
micalfisti

Hi @montyray 

As I mentioned above, issues are similar or exactly the same with older models, android 6 or Android 7 or   Android 8.

Almost nothing is solved and I cannot understand why. For example, your 9000 channels Freesat issue, is an issue that I had mentioned 3 years ago beside tenths of other Satellite issues. They are not solved. They just give workarounds, suggest using Channel Editors, pretend that specific issues are not serious, are caused by user inability or mistake, are not affecting all users which is logical since every region or every provider uses different protocols for transmition or encoding. This could be a reason but then why other old TV or cheap receivers do not have these issues. Why only Sony specific? Sony did not have these issues in the past, so the most possible reason is Android OS. They cannot embed on their hardware even if this is the best in the world.

And no. They are not going to solve all issues. Maybe a few of them same way with previous TVs and OS

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback - I've passed it to the survey team.

And yes, I understand your issue.

Cheers

Peter