Join now - be part of our community!

SONY AG8 - LETTERBOX FLICKERING

profile.country.IE.title
JayByrne

SONY AG8 - LETTERBOX FLICKERING

Hi,

I have recently bought a Sony AG8 OLED tv,  I have noticed the last few movies I have watched in Netflix for sure, even last night watching "The Old Guard" the letterbox was flickering from black to light grey and back again,

any ideas or advise on this please?

J

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Can you show us a video sample of what you see? Letter box should be void and thus black by definition on an OLED tv, unless the streaming service is sending something..

profile.country.IE.title
JayByrne

I will try get a video of it later and get it posted here for you to look at, 

it doesn't happen from the beginning - it would start happening after about 30 - 40 mins of watching. 

I have definitely noticed it on Netflix, I will check other services, also to note internet is wired to the TV and is 1GB SIRO. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@JayByrne  ha scritto:

[...], also to note internet is wired to the TV and is 1GB SIRO. 

Bear in mind that regardless of your internet bandwidth, netflix uses maximum 15,2 mbps at best. nowadays probably much less...

profile.country.IE.title
JayByrne

oh yes just mentioned that it should not be the internet connection as its capable, 

Could be the Netflix data but would that explain it not happening at the start of a movie say? I initially thought maybe its something to do with Burn in but looks too strange if it were that. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Burn in will never shows on a black background, you'd see it on uniform color pattern in case (depending on the subpixel damaged probably more on specific colors - like red or blue). Flickering on highly compressed dark area may occurs on any LG panel, but it shouldn't ever appears on letterbox since they are black or void, not dark...

profile.country.IE.title
JayByrne

Well there is definite flickering in the letterbox, its a bit hard to catch it in video at the moment in the bright room, 

will try get it later tonight, any idea what it could be?

for example i don't see any flickering when the whole screen is in use.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Probaby you should complain with the content provider than with the TV manufacturer. Before doing this check which is the actual bitstream of the content you are watching by pressing the info button

profile.country.IE.title
JayByrne

How do I check the bitstream if say watching Netflix,

I thought I read something saying all the bandwidth was being restored weeks ago, I could be wrong?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

[..] which is the actual bitstream of the content you are watching by pressing the info button