Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55x9000C

profile.country.AE.title
Matt-2001
Explorer

Sony KD55x9000C

Hello,

I have the subject Sony Bravia Android TV.

2 weeks back just before completing 3 years the pannel suddenly started horizontal lines all over. It was taken to the Sony service center and they called me back saying that the pannel is gone and needs replacement !

Is this the life period of a Sony high end TV pannel. The cost of replacing  with new that they told me , I can buy 2 new 55inch 4K Tv's. from reputed brands currently available in the market.

I am astonished that a such a high end TV and very expensive , of a brand with high reputation of quality will fail in less than 3 years. The idea of going in for an extended warranty for such a ostensibily high end product didnt strike my mind and why should it as we as customers buy on the basis of trust for products like SONY.

Sincerely , if this issue had occured after at least 5 years of use  I would have not even bothered , but less than 3 years of such a premium TV is a little difficult to accept. This is not an isolated problem as I understand from the various post which i read on line related to Sony TV's.

Sony rep gave me various reasons like voltage fluctuations , other factors etc...and refuse to acknowledge the fact that Bravia TV has a screen failure issue and this is a case of product failure. I am sure such an High end TV will have various voltage fluctuation / surge protection circuits inbuilt to prevent damage to the main critical components of this high end TV. Not only that the power supplyn in our area is very stable.

Should I consider Sony wont consider the case and offer a replacement and I should say good bye to the TV and Sony brand once for all !

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Matt, really sorry to hear that. 

I follow a few forums and I have to say, it's not only Sony panels that seem to have less longevity than they used to.

That said, I think you have been a little unlucky, as the vast majority of current Sony TVs seem to be good for 5 years plus; my own is just approaching 4 years and going strong. Touch wood!

It's true you sometimes get a 'bad' panel, but they usually show up faults earlier. Failure years down the line is often due to external factors, but generally speaking it's impossible to be sure. 

Hope you have a better experience with your next TV.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.AE.title
Matt-2001
Explorer

Dear Mike ,

Thank you for your valued response with comments.

I think that a bad pannel can also show up fault later too and . Sony should have the expertise to tell me the actual cause of this failure within 8450 hours of use with a report when they manufacture and sell such high end TV's. Sony should also have the responsibility to ensure that such high end TV's or any product of theirs are backed up by their suport in the event of one unlucky pannel . Now I understand The offer of giving extended warranties by the supplier at a cost is an indication that they too are not sure of their products if it will survive min 3 years as they offer extended warranties till 3 yrs or maybe 5 yrs !

I asked the same questiions to the local sony dealer as well as the main sony office in the region and they dont have answers other than the generic ones. I have been asking for a detailed fault report from them and its almost 20 days and they have not providing one wether its internal or external factors.

In fact the service center called me up yesterday and offered to give me another model KD55x8500E costinig $1200 at a discounted special price of $ 675 . I was happy though it was a different model because the price offered was less than the quote they send me to replace the pannel ( $ 870 ). But  when I checked in the market the price of the offered TV from the sony web site it was just $ 730 !! 

However I am waiting for their responses without any expectations. but one thing is sure that No more SONY again. I have Panasonic and LG for more than 8 years with me working in the same conditions and external factors  like this Sony was in. 

Best Regards,

Matt.