Join now - be part of our community!

Can't set personalised ringtones for contacts

SOLVED
anushiak
Visitor

Can't set personalised ringtones for contacts

I can't set individual personalised ringtones for my contacts. When I click on the contact and go to edit, there is no option to set ringtone.
How do I set a specific ringtone for a specific contact?

18 REPLIES 18
anushiak
Visitor

Yay it worked!

THANK YOU so much for your help!!

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Anytime.

alexdon
samuzon
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same problem as Anushiak had. I cannot set personalized ringtones on my Xperia C. However I haven´t found the solution. My contacts come from a syncronized way from my google account and still there are no option to select under either the 3 dots (only send or delete contact), nor the little man with a pencil. Is it a bug? Can you advise something? Thanks a lot!

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Try to back them up on your SIM and move them back to the internal storage.

alexdon
samuzon
Visitor

OK, thanks, the ringtone field appears if the contacts are in the internal storage. But then it means they cannot be synchronized with my gmail (I store contacts primarily under gmail). Or the contacts are duplicated as they comes both from the internal storage and from gmail-contacts (synced). How can they be synced with gmail and set unique ringtone for them. This worked for the starting model of Xperia series, my Xperia tipo. I simply synched contacts from gmail and it didn´t arise as a problem to set induvidual ringtones.

samuzon
Visitor

Hi, is there any solution to my request?

Unfortunately the personalized ringtone doesn´t work. I switched off the gmail contacts (under Filter contacts/Dsiplay contacts). Only Local contacts can be seen in my contact list where I can set the individual ringtones which are however not played when the contact (set with this ringtone) calls me, only the default ringtone. I am very sad about this malfunction. 😞

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

I think you should contact a staff member:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Welcome/Community-users/m-p/634967

alexdon
Rickard
Master

I checked here and as you say, the phone doesn't support individual ringtones for Gmail contacts. I will forward this as feedback internally but i'm afraid i can't see when/if this will be added.

I suspect the reason it doesn't work when you add ringtone to the local contacts is that you also have the contact as a Gmail contact. Even when it's filtered the phone application may use the Gmail contact when the number calls you and that contact doesn't have a individual ringtone.

I'm not sure if it will work or not but what you could try as a workaround is to turn off synchronization of contacts with Google, clear data for the app contacts storage (this will delete all contacts in the phone) and then sync with Google using a computer and the 3:rd party software MyPhoneExplorer. I think MyPhoneExplorer will add them as phone contacts but i'm not sure.

samuzon
Visitor

Thanks for the information and advice. I turned off the sync of contacts with google, exported contacts, then deleted all from the phone, finally imported the exported file into internal storage (as local contacts) After these the individual ringtones worked.

However I wonder about the non-support feature of individual ringtones for google contacts as the phone is built on Android platform which is a google creature.

I hope there´s going to be an update for this rather sooner than later. Slightly_smiling_Face