Join now - be part of our community!

Is there a 3.5mm jack to MI shoe adapter?

masbmfir
New

Is there a 3.5mm jack to MI shoe adapter?

Hello,

I own a Sony Cybershot HX6VB of which doesn't have a external microphone input. The camera is great however I wish it had one. I recently found out that there's Multi Interface shoe microphones that don't require a audio jack because all the audio data is transmitted through the shoe.

However, these mics are a bit too expensive for my budget and I've been wanting a way to use a mic that requires a 3.5mm input and convert it to use a MI shoe.

I've seen similar technology implemented into the Sony ECM-W1M Wireless Microphone system where a dongle is placed onto the MI shoe and a external microphone transmits audio to it. You can also plug a 3.5mm mic into the external mic so it acts as a gateway to the dongle. This solution is very expensive though.

Is anyone aware of an adapater that sits in the MI shoe and allows you to directly plug in a 3.5mm mic such as the RODE On Camera Microphone?

Thanks in advance.

If you have anything you need me to explain, please ask.

2 REPLIES 2
Chavakano
New

You have 1193 views to your post, that means that at least there are 1194 people looking for this adapter.

Anybody out there listening?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi there ,

I couldn't find and adapter (neither from Sony nor any aftermarket one). So the least expensive option is probably to mount an external recorder like the ZOOM H1 on top of your camera and connect the desired microphone to it.

This though requires you to sync the audio during post production, which is no issue with most of the newer editing softwares.

- Nic

P.S.: It seems there once were aftermarket adapters, yet they are not available anymore - also you would have needed to get an additional adapter from AI to MI.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564249-REG/Pearstone_9011300_Microphone_Adapter_for_Sony.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479976-REG/Sony_VMCK100_VMC_K100_Microphone_Adapter.html