Join now - be part of our community!

No solution for a failed connection between PRS-600 and calibre

profile.country.de_DE.title
hahartl71
Visitor

No solution for a failed connection between PRS-600 and calibre

I used calibre for about 2 weeks. I did not deinstall the ReaderLibrary.

There was no trouble at all using both, until I forgot to eject the reader before

I closed calibre. Afterwards the reader cannot be connected to ReaderLibrary as well as

to calibre.

It is pity that the ReaderLibrary does not show any error message during the connection process,

but calibre showes the following message:

The SONY XML database is corrupted (no ). Try disconnecting an reconnecting your reader.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 63, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 305, in _books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 140, in books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 135, in initialize_XML_cache
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\sony_cache.py", line 141, in __init__
DeviceError: The SONY XML database is corrupted (no ). Try disconnecting an reconnecting your reader.

I did a hardware reset and deinstall/install calibre, but the problem is still exist.

Could somebody help me to explain, what kind of possibility can corrupt the XML database ?

Do I have to send the reader to Sony service or is there any other solution ?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
SteveF48
New

You can corrupt data by removing a disk (or Sony ereader, which acts like a disk) without ejecting it. When a program writes to a disk, the data is 'cached' until Windows can find the resources to actually write it.

Modern computers usually do this very quickly, so you may get away with just unplugging the ereader, but you were obviously unlucky and a file wasn't properly closed. This corrupted it.

Having said that, it sounds like the corrupted file is on your computer, because you've reset the PRS-600.

As far as I can tell there's only one relevant xml file ( manifest.xml) in the folders used by Adobe Digital Editions and Calibre. My Documents\My Digital Editions is the folder on my PC, if you have Windows XP search 'My Documents', for Vista/Windows 7 search 'Libraries'.

Click on the file's name, press F2 and rename it to Manifest.xml.old.

Do the same thing for Manifest.xml in Reader\Digital Editions, which is actually your PRS-600.

See whether you can now access your ereader using Calibre and ADE.

DO NOT Rename/Delete media.xml in the database\cache folder of your ereader, as this will stop Calibre accessing the device.

If none of this works, simply remove .old from the filenames you changed.

Message was edited by: SteveF48

hahartl71
Visitor

I found the directory /Reader/Digital Editions and the file manifest.xml.

I renamed the manifest files in the /Reader/Digital Editions and in the  /My Documents/My Digital Editions directories.

The problem has not been solved.

I deleted both files and there was no change concerning the problem and the same error message had been generated by calibre.

Thank you for the information SteveF48, but I cannot rename the manifest.xml file in the Reader/Digital Editions because
there is no directory named Reader/Digital Editions.
I only found the directories C:\Sony\Reader\Documentation and C:\Sony\Sony Reader\USBReader and
the /My Documents/My Digital Editions directory.

I use Windows XP.

At the beginning after I bought the Reader, I found those directories, so I thought that all the Reader software files
included data base are on the Reader.
It it possible, that some files are missing ?

Message was edited by: hahartl71

hahartl71
Visitor

I found the directory /Reader/Digital Editions and the file manifest.xml.

I renamed the manifest files in the /Reader/Digital Editions and in the  /My Documents/My Digital Editions directories.

The problem has not been solved.

I deleted both files and there was no change concerning the problem and the same error message had been generated by calibre.