Join now - be part of our community!

transfer kindle books to sony reader

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sharond123
Visitor

transfer kindle books to sony reader

Does anyone know the name of the programme you can download to change kindle format to sony reader format?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi sharond,

The key thing here is whether your Kindle files have DRM (Digital Right Management) encoded in them - in other words copyright.  If you purchased the Kindle eBooks they almost certainly do.  If this is the case I'm pretty sure that it is not possible to convert the files - but if you find out otherwise, I'd love to hear!

If on the other hand your Kindle eBooks are DRM-free then I have heard that Calibre is able to convert the files to epub (the format used by the Sony Reader and most others), although it's not something I've tried personally.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Drumzman
New

Hi sharond,

The key thing here is whether your Kindle files have DRM (Digital Right Management) encoded in them - in other words copyright.  If you purchased the Kindle eBooks they almost certainly do.  If this is the case I'm pretty sure that it is not possible to convert the files - but if you find out otherwise, I'd love to hear!

If on the other hand your Kindle eBooks are DRM-free then I have heard that Calibre is able to convert the files to epub (the format used by the Sony Reader and most others), although it's not something I've tried personally.

Hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

I've sent you a Private Message.

PuppyDog

ZumbaChumba
New

You can't.  Kindles are sold as a loss-leader, meaning Amazon make a loss on each one sold, and then make that money back by locking you into buying content from their store forevermore.

The Sony readers use EPUB format, which is an open and industry standard, all other stores use this, so you can buy (and rent) books from anywhere else.

This is why smart people avoid locked in systems like Kindle, iTunes etc, and stick to open formats.

Here endeth the lesson.  If something is cheap, there is a reason.  In the case of Kindle, the reason is because you will have no choice where you buy books, and Amazon will charge what they like.