Join now - be part of our community!

4k movie storage suggestion

profile.country.GB.title
dagladm
New

4k movie storage suggestion

There seems to be a huge amount of problems finding a medium to store 4k movies onto. Their inherent size makes discs a difficult proposition and downloads would take a huge amount of time for a high quality 4k movie.
What not, therefore, develop something along the lines of a memory stick to store the movies onto? Memory sticks can hold massive amounts of data and finding a supplier who can produce massive quantities at a reasonable cost wouldn't be too difficult. So say you would need 200GB per movie and they would need to sell for around £30 to begin with. This surely would be achievable considering the volumes they would sell in?
A memory stick is small, light, easily packaged, can be personalised, and can be of any size needed. Maybe Sony can develop a unique one which will only play in Sony players ( different plug to anything currently available) then they can sell the technology to others.
You can store them in boxes of a similar size to Blu-Rays or DVDs with a centre slot for the stick to click into.
If they were formatted to be read only and had a connector which would only fit a new Sony 4k player, then piracy would be addressable too.

This is just an idea I have had...I hope Sony find food for thought in my suggestions.

Danny
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Nice idea, and if memory serves right, the flash drives was floated about a while ago (not in conjuction with 4K though).  More for magazine covers/software demos etc. 

However the clever bods are already working on the next storage media.  300GB discs.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201307/13-0729E/index.html

In regards to streaming 4K, the next generation of compression technology is coming very soon, with a handy name of H.265

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

Netflix will begin streaming 4K next year I believe, however dont expect it to work unless you are on fibre of cable broadband.

Cheers