Join now - be part of our community!

Full screen with blu-ray

profile.country.CA.title
Andy544
New

Full screen with blu-ray

TV is SAMSUNG 75 "4K CRYSTAL UHD SMART TV (2020) -UE75TU6905KXXC and a Blu-ray player Sony UBP-X700 Smart Ultra HD.

When watching ordi ary blu-ray discs, for example Gone the wind, the black edges on the screen are up, down and sides. And when watching UltraHD blu-ray disc, for example Close Encounters of the Third Kind, black areas are up and down are on the screen.

How can I get rid of thesd black areas, I want to watch full screen. If I can do that somehow, will the image quality suffer?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Andy544 

I don’t know about ‘any’. Gone With The Wind was made in 4:3, equivalent to 12:9 of your 16:9 screen, and so will be shown with a 2:9 black bar either side, adding up to 16:9. Other BluRays, made in 16:9, should display full screen with no black bars.

You can use ‘Stretchyvision’ to expand the screen to 16:9 if you like, but then everyone will look the the man on the back of the Megabuses 😛

Likewise, Close Encounters was made in 22:9, which is 16:6.54 recurring, and so will have 1.227:9 black bars top and bottom.

Again you can stretch it vertically, but then the aliens will be even more etoliated than they are now.

And again, if you can find a 16:9 UHD - Planet Earth II springs to mind - you will find it fills the screen entirely.

But really, you owe it to the directors of the movies you mention to watch them as presented, which is as intended, and forget that your TV is inconveniently different from the framings they elected to work with.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.CA.title
Andy544
New

Thsnk you fr your answer. Now I'm a bit wiser than earlier !

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Andy544, I agree with what royabrown2 said. Does the same happen with other more modern films as well?