Join now - be part of our community!

HT-AS5 and KDL46W905 and BDP-S5100

HT-AS5 and KDL46W905 and BDP-S5100

Yes I truly do love sony as can be seen from the subject.

Basically I have the above setup, that is KDL46W905 TV, HT-AS5 surround system and BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray player.

All connected using HDMI through the surround system.

I cannot for the life of me get Bravia Sync or the Audio Return Channel feature to work correctly.

The TV does not see either the surround system or the Blu-Ray player in the list of devices and whenever I try to play sound from the TV using the builtin apps (say YouTube) through the surround system I get nothing - even when I select the TV option on the surround system.

All the HDMI cables are good and high speed.

The TV has the HDMI cable plugged into HDMI1 (labelled with ARC) and plugged into the TV-Out on the surround system (also labelled ARC)

I have tried firmware updating aTV and Blu-Ray player - full factory settings on both as well and still cannot get it to work properly.

I have also tried numerous settings changes on both the TV and surround system in regards to Bravia Sync and Control for HDMI and still nothing.

As it stands Bravia Sync is enabled on the TV and control for HDMI is enabled on the surround system.

According to all the documentation and Sony that should be it and it should work, but no, still nothing!

Help! Please........

also, on a a side note what is this nonsense about Sony not paying Dolby for a full license to allow the BDP-S5100 to convert Dolby TrueHD to LPCM (full 7.1 channels) and output it? Only 2 channel is supported or else the Blu-Ray player bitstreams the mandatory Dolby Digital track to the surround system??

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think it might be best to take this from the start.

Connecting it all up

• Connect HDMI cable from HDMI IN 1 (ARC) on TV to TV OUT (ARC) on Main Sub
  • Connect HDMI cable to either TV (HDMI 2) or on Main Sub (BD IN)

Control for HDMI Settings:
TV (see manual : HERE)
Press HOME on remote control and goto Settings > External Inputs > Bravia Sync Settings and set the following:

• Bravia Sync Control = ON
  • Auto devices off = ON
  • Auto TV on = ON
  • Device Control Keys = Tuning and Menu Keys

AT-AS5 (page 42 of the manual : HERE)
Press the AMP menu button on remote control and goto Set HDMI and set the follwing:
CTRL ON and press OK

BDP-S5100 (page 30 of the manual : HERE)
Select setup on the home menu and goto System settings > HDMI Settings.  Set the following:
Control for HDMI = ON
Link to TV-off = ON

Now, go back to the TV - Press the HOME button on remote control and goto > Settings > External Inputs > Bravia Sync Settings > Bravia Sync Device List, If the devices are still not showing up, click the ENABLE button

Also ensure that the TV is outputting the Audio through "Audio System" by going to the Sound Settings

Test everything now.  Turn TV off wait 60seconds and turn TV back on again.  Check the Device List again.

Hopefully that helps you.

Unforunately that's exactly how it is setup (all the options as you have outlined) and I have tried all of your suggestions, nothing shows up on the Bravia Sync list on the TV. Should the surround system and blu-ray player be showing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

Ok try the following:

• Turn off everything (from the wall)
  • Disconnect the bluray player completely (keeping it simple, just TV and Sound System)
  • Replace HDMI cable from TV (HDMI 1 ARC) and Sound System (TV out) with either another one spare or the one you disconnected from the bluray player.
  • Turn on TV (hopefully sound system will turn itself on).  If not, set TV to output audio via external sound system.  Is the audio being outputted correctly?  If not, needs further investigating.  If so, continue
  • Goto the External HDMI Devices List, and check that Sound System is there, Try clicking enable, if not.

Note: This is my device list below (different setup, but should display something if all bravia sync options are on.

IMG_20131115_143331.jpg

However, if you are not able to output audio, there is something either wrong with the HDMI connection from TV to sound system, or sound system is not plugged in correctly, or even faulty.

Fingers crossed

Cheers.

Edit: Whilst Im at it, if sound system doesnt work.  Test bluray player as per above.  Connect Bluray player to TV only, with NO sound system.  If that works.....

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I have a slightely different configuration (KDL42W805, HTCT350, BDP5100). In my HT in the amp menu (HDMI) you have to set ARC ON otherways it expects the audio from tv coming from an additional optical cable.

I have tried replacing the cable between the TV and the surround system - no joy.

I have also tried plugging the hdmi cable between the TV and the surround system to the different HDMI inputs on the TV - still nothing.

This is where the plot thickens slightly.

After doing some fiddling I have connected the blu-ray player directly to the TV and behold bravia sync works and I can see the player in the list, so between the TV and blu-ray player directly, success.

Plugged the blu-ray player back into the surround system, switched it on with the remote and this time the surround system changed input to BD (from SAT/CATV) - which must indicate bravia sync is working (of sorts) between the blu-ray player and the surround system but still no joy with the TV.

This must point to an issue on either the TV or the surround system (or both)

Only thing I have yet to try is a factory reset of the surround system - but I don't think that will make a difference? Is there anyway the firmware can be updated on the surround system?

Could this be some kind of odd issue between the TV and the surround system (as the surround system did come out in 2010 and the TV only this year?)

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its looking to me like the HT-AS5 sound system.  You have confirmed that bravia sync works on the TV and blu-ray player, but not sound system. 

A factory reset is generally a good idea, especially in times of odd issues, and you have tried other things.  You just never know.  There are no firmware updates.  I cannot see why the Bravia Sync functionality would change since 2010, as its just a Sony term for the generic CEC functions, so its unlikely. 

Leaving aside the Bravia Sync issue with the sound system, can you confirm that you can actually output audio from TV to sound system?  If you cannot, try plugging in an optical cable from the TV to sound system (yes, I know you will ultimately loose bravia sync - but for some reason, its not working anyhow).  Im wondering if the HDMI port on the sound system is faulty!  This is the angle im taking at the moment (unless evidence supports other-wise)

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

When you turn on HT-AS5 make sure that HDMI is displayed in the information diplay if not while still on unplug and replug HDMI should display if not try another lead .I've had a issue when i turn on the tv the hdmi connection is not shown even though the tv displays the message 'checking the connection with external speakers' and shows no error,this is resolved by doing the above. My setup is 55W905-ht-as5-bdps-580 via sony hdmi leads, When you enable sync make sure all devices are on and then enable through tv settings menu.If this still doesn't work then something has failed because sony devices are just plug and play.