Join now - be part of our community!

HXD995 tuning problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
coherse
Visitor

HXD995 tuning problem

Since digital switchover, my RDR HXD995 will not retain the new channel. Group 1 programs [BBC] were on rf channel 39, but they are now on rf channel 26. A full 'replace channels' search results in chan 26 being correctly detected at full strength. But if I switch to 'standby' and then back to 'on', I find 'no signal' for the BBC programs, and it turns out that the 995 has reverted to rf chan 39 - which is not broadcasting.

I have tried to clear any memory by searching with the aerial disconnected - no go.

I have the latest firmware, and even reinstalled it to try to reset to factory conditions - no go.

How can this be happening? There is no obvious way to retune manually, although I tried to use the 'add new programs' feature in the 'signal check' facility. So far as I can tell, this does absolutely nothing. I have tried emailing Sony, but I have received no reply, and cannot find out how to enter my query reference number.

I am concerned that after the next phase of switchover, I will also lose group 2 [ITV etc] as they will move from chan 49 to 23. I am receiving from the Wrekin [Shropshire] Tx, and I am about 5 kM from it.

The only remedy would seem to be never to switch the 995 to 'off', which is crazy.

Can somebody please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It's a known problem (even if not recognize as such by Sony) of the latest firmware 1.24. If this is the version you have installed you have to do some additional step when you want to re-tune your unit:

• reset the recorder by pressing STOP button and OFF button on the unit (not the remote) together
  • unplug the unit from the power cord for at least 1 minute
  • reconnect and restart the unit and go thorugh the whole initializing process (including the automatic tuning procedure)

In this way it'll retain all the newly found channel (at least for a period of time...). You'll need to redo it if you want to retune completely the unit (i.e. for next phase of the switchover) or if you get some problem like a long "Update" indication in the front panel.. If you're lucky you won't need to redo it at all.

PS: you'll loose any specific setting you have done on the unit (including timer you already set) but nothing on the HDD.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It's a known problem (even if not recognize as such by Sony) of the latest firmware 1.24. If this is the version you have installed you have to do some additional step when you want to re-tune your unit:

• reset the recorder by pressing STOP button and OFF button on the unit (not the remote) together
  • unplug the unit from the power cord for at least 1 minute
  • reconnect and restart the unit and go thorugh the whole initializing process (including the automatic tuning procedure)

In this way it'll retain all the newly found channel (at least for a period of time...). You'll need to redo it if you want to retune completely the unit (i.e. for next phase of the switchover) or if you get some problem like a long "Update" indication in the front panel.. If you're lucky you won't need to redo it at all.

PS: you'll loose any specific setting you have done on the unit (including timer you already set) but nothing on the HDD.

profile.country.en_GB.title
coherse
Visitor

rooobb, you have really made my day! Many thanks. I can now hang on to my 995.

I also received a response from Sony 'support'. It was about as much use as a haemorrhoid transplant.

Many thanks....solved our problem as well.

Was on the verge of downgrading and buying something cheaper as a get us by but this is great...thanks very much...

Need to let more users know of this issue and solution.

Best wishes

Ray