Join now - be part of our community!

Repair options for Ireland purchaser?

profile.country.GB.title
watou85
Explorer

Repair options for Ireland purchaser?

Hello, I purchased a Sony STR-DN1080 from Amazon.DE in 2017, and in late 2021 it developed a problem with popping sounds and a solder smell, so I took it to a repair centre here in Ireland.  They said they never got timely replies from Sony regarding parts for this Germany-sold unit, and after an entire year and a dozen phone calls of their not having repaired it, the repair operation went out of business and I collected it from them, still broken.

There are no, none, zero, Sony official repair facilities in all of the Republic of Ireland, and there is a chance that any English-speaking repair facility will face the same fate as my year-long failed attempt.

So...how ON EARTH can a customer in Ireland, who bought his beloved STR-DN1080 from Amazon.DE, ever hope to get it repaired? Surely there is some possible path, please?

I purchased it with the assumption that repair was humanly possible.  I'm really desperate here to hold on to the hope that Sony and its community has an idea for me. 

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@watou85 

Maybe send it to somebody in Germany to fix?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
watou85
Explorer

Thank you for that, but of course I would need a way of establishing a well founded belief that that was the correct thing to do, and that whoever I would send it to would have a high likelihood of success, spoke English, had a verifiable track record, etc. 

I think Sony and/or Amazon should take even a small bit of responsibility in marshaling a repair process, since they have literally nothing in my own EU country, and perhaps should not have sold a German unit to an Irish customer in the first place.  It's just so unbelievably frustrating to be in this situation.

Thanks again for answering me.

Kind regards

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@watou85 

Looking at receivers on the Amazon.DE site today, they divide into those that ship to the UK, and those that don’t. So it looks like Amazon provide the choice of selecting this to its suppliers.

And guess who is happy to have their kit shipped to the UK, in the case of at least one receiver?

All on Sony, then. What do they say when you talk to them?

profile.country.GB.title
watou85
Explorer

In the vast labyrith that is Sony, how do I even reach a human Sony employee who would listen to my issue? Thanks for any advice on that from anyone who might have an idea.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@watou85 

Pick your nearest, call and talk to them.

If you get nonsense, pick the next nearest and so on.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00244641

@jumpsuit 

Invoking you to see if you can help @watou85 here.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @watou85  and @royabrown2 

Apologies for the late reply, I'll look into it for you and will post back here :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
watou85
Explorer

Thank you very much!

profile.country.GB.title
watou85
Explorer

Hi @jumpsuit, I assume you've not gotten a reply about my having been sold the STR-DN1080 but without any guidance on how to get it repaired?  I'm desperate to have it working again, but frustrated that an entire EU country has zero Sony repair options, and unlike the practice of other major manufacturers selling through Amazon, this failure scenario was allowed to happen.

Thank you for your efforts; they're much appreciated.