Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

profile.country.GB.title
Billiemill
New

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

Help, my Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following the Freeview channel change. I retune it but the new channels are not there and when I turn it off and on again it needs completely retuned again as all the channels have disappeared. 

I deleted the junk, switched off, switched on, blank screen, no channels. Retuned, all deleted channels back. When I retune everything goes back the way it was before the freeview channel change e.g. BBC News is channel 130. When I try channel 231 I get a message this channel not in use. When I turn off and back on again blank screen, no channels, need to retune again. Have tried retune and easy set up with same result.
I am stumped.

41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

I loaded one RF channel at a time logging down which channels were added. Still working here!!!!

try just loading one channel and see if its keeps them, if it does then try another. Trial and error, Just hope they remain

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

@Qwertyuip wrote:

Follow up

The hxd-995 is sorted. Firmware was updated to 1.24 and channels now stored

the hxd-870 is a different matter, my recorder has version 1.62 installed, went to update to version 1.70 but it wouldn't update. I was told to update to version 1.66 first then do 1.70 but the recorder will not update to version 1.66 either. When firmware cd put in the tray and installation starts the recorder starts reading the cd then ejects cd and powers off.

Pleased to hear you sorted one of them. 

It might be worth you trying to burn the CD on a different PC and also (if you are not already) use a CD-R and not a CD-RW. 

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

Hi mooly01

Thanks for the information 

It was done on a CD-R as I know there has been issues before with CD-RW's. I will try a CD-RW as you never know it might work

the manually added channels are still stored  on the DVD recorder 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

CD-RW are far less reflective than CD-R and so I would  be very surprised if it did work.  

It is definitely worth trying to make the disc on a different PC though, and also if you can select it, burn at a higher speed. Although higher speeds were considered inferior, that is not always the case for modern media. 

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

So far, so good: a new channel was found this morning.  I powered off and on the recorder subsequently and "D001" appeared in the display, instead of the dreaded "D---".

One consequence of this saga remains, however: TITLE LIST does not occupy the full width of the screen.  It occurred at some point a couple of days ago..  SYSTEM MENU and GUIDE are unaffected.  Does anyone have an answer to make TITLE LIST full screen?

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

This doesn't answer your question but I can confirm that the title list on mine has always (since day 1) been small in width on both my current and previous TV.

I've never pursued why and always thought it just a quirk.

What do others see ? 

profile.country.GB.title
spike95609
Explorer

I've got this problem too with an 870. I have been in touch with Sony Support and have gone through everything they have asked and it came down to me downloading the v1.70 firmware and trying to install it. I can't do it though, I've burned 3 CD-Rs and it's failed on each one, getting to the Disc-DWLD stage then immediately ejecting the disc, loading it back in again and switching itself off.

I think the problem is the burning software. I've used Windows 7 own system for two of the discs, then got ImgBurn for the third having set it up for ISO 9660, but that still failed. I don't really know what I'm doing with this as I very rarely burn anything and know nothing about all these different settings. Not that it matters as I've now run out of discs except for a CD-RW.

I've tried asking Sony if they can just send me a disc with the firmware on but they've said they can't, despite the fact that I've read on these pages that they have sent them out to people in the past, and from what I've read are still doing this. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mark

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

If you get really stuck then I can send you a CDR with the firmware on it. I would just have to assume it was burned correctly (using Ashampoo ISO 9660 Level 1) as I have no means of testing it.

I do see that Sony say that CD-RW is OK. It might be worth you trying that, but first be sure to format it (not just erase previous titles). If there is a quick and full erase then choose 'full'.

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

Hi Mark

well I am still stuck here too. What firmware version do you have you your 870? If its 1.62 or lower then you have to update to 1.66 before 1.70.

sony are at a loss to whats causing the problem. My version 1.62 is now obsolete so cant reinstall that. My 870 behaves the same as yours. I have tried two cd's but both failed. Will try again the weekend.

my work around didn't last as my machine got the dreaded D---1 this morning.

only suggestion I have had from sony is my hard drive must be faulty and get it replaced, thats a cop out from sony as both my 870 and 995 needed updating at the same time. Definitely a problem there end with the firmware.

as for the burning problems thats a job for my techy son in-law. I will give it a try and let you know the outcome

paul

profile.country.GB.title
spike95609
Explorer

I'm on v1.58, and Sony told me to upgrade to 1.66 first, so I burned it on a disc using the Windows method and the same thing happened. As soon as I can I'll give it a go with ImgBurn on to my CD-RW and see if that helps matters. Thanks for the offer of a CD Mooly1, most kind of you - I may well take you up on that once I've come to the end of the road!

Sony give very precise instructions on how to use the CD when you have it, but it would help an awful lot if they would be as precise in telling you how to create it. All I'm doing here is grasping at straws in the dark and wrecking my dwindling supply of discs. I asked them to help but they wouldn't. I really haven't been impressed with them, I am after all trying to fix a problem which is completely THEIR fault.