Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1040 & file access via the network

SOLVED
theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

STR-DN1040 & file access via the network

I'm pulling my hair out with this one guys... can somebody please explain to me why when accessing my HD via the home network using its menu interface, although I can see the file tree and access the various .mp3, FLAC files, nothing happens when I select any of them. I've set the auto permission to auto access but the various files appear in the menu with a ? against them. Also, when I try and access the unit using the Sony AudioRemote iPhone app to access the same files, it simply says "cannot play music"... any help appreciated!!!!

Many thanks in advance,
Pete

16 REPLIES 16
theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

Appreciate all of your time and help... I've given up trying to sort this myself and have made contact with the shop where I bought the amp. To be fair to them, they are going to try and help me over the phone, so fingers crossed that can help...

Cheers

Pete

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok.  Im just sorry that I cannot assist you any further im afraid.  But I think we've at least narrowed it down a little in regards to the communication (DLNA) between AV Receiver and Linkstation (I think anyhow).  If you do manage to get this resolved, and chance you can post here, as I'd be interested to know myself. 

Good luck with everything.

theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

As way of an update... it did indeed turn out that the LinkStation was the weak link. After updating the drives firmware, I was finally able to see the amp in its DNLA list... however, this proved only to be a brief breakthrough as when trying to access the drive via the amps GUI only 3 of the 21 directories were visible... :angry:

Anyway, I've subsequently been out and purchased a WD 2tb MyCloud storage device and am over the moon to confirm that after transfer of the same directory structure and files, full navigation and playing of the files is achievable... :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting the update.  I am really glad it is all now working - shame about that linkstation though.

Cheers

theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

I could have done without the extra cost, but I now have an extra tb of space and a nice shiney new HD which the amp can see... :slight_smile:

One suplimental question, given that all of the various music files I have a tagged with the track number, does anybody know how I stop the amp from listing album tracks in alphabetical order? If my Sonos can list the same files in track order, why can't the amp?

Cheers

Pete

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats always the pain isnt it, the unexpected extra cost involved (im looking at you car MOT) :slight_smile:

I cannot see anywhere in the specs that the STR-DN1040 supports ID3 tags, therefore im going to assume that it doesnt.  The Sonos probably does support the ID3 tags, being that its a dedicated music player as such, whereas the AV Reciever is the "middle man" between devices. 

The only 'workaround' solution that I can think of, is renaming all your music to something like:

01 - Track Name

02 - Track Name

03 - Track Name 

Etc

There are bulk renamers out there such as Tagscanner (of which I use by the way), if you choose to go down that route.

Cheers

theORBscureDDJ
Explorer

I had a feeling that the lack of ID3 tag support was the culprit...  I use Mp3tag to keep control of my tags and the thought of having to go through 22000+ files to rename them again isn't something that excites me!