Join now - be part of our community!

UBP-X700 does not support Dolby TrueHD (ATMOS) in MKV files

profile.country.US.title
pippo-73
Explorer

UBP-X700 does not support Dolby TrueHD (ATMOS) in MKV files

UBP-X700 does not support Dolby TrueHD (Atmos) format packaged in MKV files. Right now the only way to play Atmos files is by using M2ST containers, but M2ST is not as common for online content as MKV. For example all the Atmos demos downloadable from the Dolby homepage, are in MKV format.

Does anyone know if there are chances that Sony in the future will be able to provide a firmware update to fix this issue? After all Sony claims MKV and Dolby TrueHD support for this product. Has anyone experienced this problem?

28 REPLIES 28

Hi there, I have the same problem and I'd say that's really annoying. I'll come back to this thread if I can show any clues about this matter.

I believe that this is a big issue because a lot of media files are encoded in this way and we're not able to play them, so network player is far from perfect. A nicer look of the network server would be pretty good also. I'm sure that Sony can manage this.

Kindest regards.

profile.country.GB.title
an1couk
Explorer

Also experiencing the same problem.

adam0510
New

I am also experiencing the same problem.

profile.country.US.title
rkruz2
Explorer

I to ran across problem this trying to play TrueHD demo files over the USB input on the x700.  Do you think then that Sony will offer a firmware upgrade that will allow TrueHD encapsulated in TrueHD to play over USB for the X700?  Are there over BDP's that currently would allow .mkv files to be played with TrueHD over USB?.  I ask because it provides a sense that this is a true technical issue and perhaps not wrapped up in legal issues.

profile.country.SG.title
cheersjy
New

I purchased X700 for its great picture quality and Dolby Atmos output. However, when I playback MKV videos with Dolby Atmos or EAC3 audio track stored in USB, UBP-X700 shows a notice stating "audio format not supported". It is a shame and i hope Sony can address this issue so that X700 can support Dolby TrueHD (ATMOS) and EAC3 audio in MKV files soon.

profile.country.GB.title
laess3r
Explorer

Hello!

Is there any solution yet for this issue? About half of all demo-tracks I downloaded from Dolby Atmos homepage don't work on this player... 

Is there a PC software to transcode the audio to something that is supported by the player?

The strange thing is that UHD Blu Rays with TrueHD Atmos do work, but files from USB/DLNA not.

profile.country.US.title
rkruz2
Explorer

Same experience here.  Even as of today i cant play atmos from .mkvSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Jezorama
New

My ubp-x800 is also having this issue, got a file with Dolby TrueHD Atmos (mkv) and it says Audio format not supported, even though it should be. Works fine on a disc, just not via usb or network drive. Sony - any chance of a firmware update? Gonna have to return this unit otherwise

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
rahulray
New

I also have the same issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Xf9005hasnoEARC
Explorer

I was going to buy one of these as it had the hdmi for audio but I will not if it does not accept lossless audio via server

Thanks for letting me know