Join now - be part of our community!

UBP X800 DSD playback from NAS

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
mrstester

UBP X800 DSD playback from NAS

On the specs it says the player supports dsd playback, but it does not recognise any dsd files from my NAS. Is there any way to get itto recognise the files? I tried from a usb drive and they work, why not over the network?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
mrstester

Finally! Yay, just goes to prove if you stick at it, one day you will find the answer.

I had tried various dlna servers to no avail, but then I tried Serviio and it worked. The player now not only plays all the usual formats, mps, flac etc, but dsd64 and amazingly dsd128 both play now.

So if you want to fully use the potential of this very nice player to play hi-res audio, install Stremiio and your problesm are solved.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi mrstester,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I would recommend getting in touch with Support for further help with this here.

Thanks,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
mrstester

I purchased the Sony UBP-X800 a month ago, after reading the reviews and feeling it had all the facilities I wanted. When I installed it, I tested playback of Blue ray, dvd and UHD disks, all of which performed as expected. But one of my main reasons for purchasing the Sony was that I would be able to stream Hi res music over the network. On the Sony web site is says you can stream hi res music, and I naturally accepted that. I have been using my Marantz SR6001 to stream DSF files without issue, and expected the Sony to be able to playback from my HP server running Jriver media centre software. Alas it was not to be so. The Sony refused to even acknowledge the files existed. When I called Sony support to check if I had done some mis-configuration I was told several different things by whoever I spoke with. The conclusion (that I asked for in writing) was that it will only play flac and wav files over dlna. I am left feeling a little cheated by Sony adverts, and disappointed in the UBP X800s musical abilities. So beware, if you think that the Sony will be streaming hi res musical delights, it won't!

profile.country.GB.title
trigital
Explorer

I just ordered online a x800. I read those post's and now I postpone the delivery...

I have now an old BDP-S4100, a HP microserver and I stream with Foobar DSD over PCM ( DOP) stereo and multichanel. The sound is great over HDMI to my Yamaha Receiver.

As I read a lot about the X800, I dream to stream native DSD somehow.

Did you try Foobar with UPnP plugin and use x800 as a renderer? 

profile.country.GB.title
mrstester

I have not tried with foobar with the X800, although I do use foobar on my laptop to play dsd audio and it works fine.

I have been quite frustrated with Sony support. They keep telling me that on page 33 of the manual, it says these files "MAY" no play over the network. Well, it does not say they "WON'T" work. My question to them was, well what do I have to do to make it work! I can appreciate that in some circumstances it might not work, but can they tell me what combination will allow the files to play. But as much as they elevated the enquiry, no answer was forthcoming. 

So I can only say that we are not going to get any guidance from Sony (although they must know!) but will have to try a variety of solutions and see what works, then tell the rest of us.

good luck with your quest.

profile.country.GB.title
trigital
Explorer

If you try to browse through NAS files from Sony menu, maybe the dsd files will not work.

But maybe if you try to use Sony as a render machine and you stream from Foobar to Sony ( as Sony should be output source of Foobar ) it will be OK.

Main question is about type of file. If Sony can play native DSD or DOP ( from SACD menu of Foobar you can choose output to be DSD or PCM )

profile.country.GB.title
mrstester

Just a quick positive update. I tried using foobar with dsd files, and had a small success! The sony plays them back as lpcm wav files. Not exactly native, but at least it can access the files and plays them! So now just got to figure out how to play them natively.

Thanks for the foobar suggestion.

profile.country.GB.title
trigital
Explorer

Do you choose and play files from Foobar to Sony?

If yes, choose DSD on Foobar SACD menu from Preferences.

[URL link removed]

And choose Sony as output in Foobar.

My old Sony plays all SACD ISO from my Foobar, but only as PCM .

I realy want to know if this x800 can render native DSD.

profile.country.GB.title
mrstester

I have got the upnp component for foobar, but when it plays it is only at
44khz and 16 bit, so not the quality I was hoping for.
You said put sony in the output, but in my foobar in output there is only
some asio entries and the soundcard of the computer, the sony does not show
up, or am i looking in the wrong place! There are a lot of settings in
foobar.

Also in the SACD output, what settings do you use for dsd processor? by
defualt it is set to none.

Anyway thanks for the help, a lot more than sony support gave!

I did try and test the sony with Whitebears DMR analyser, and it failed
with dsf files.So I was just about to give up.

best regards
profile.country.GB.title
trigital
Explorer

You should check your settings on Windows related to sharing and most important - Media Streaming Option.

There, you should enable with all rights for the Sony.

After that you will see Sony Bluray into the Output menu of the Foobar.

All the Asio settings is related to USB output of your computer, no needed for streaming.