Join now - be part of our community!

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

I have a Sony KDL-42W705B running Firmware V3.004EUA purchased two years ago.

Cannot play CBBC iplayer content - always get error message "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory"

The BBC was supposed to have fixed this back in January - but I still have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ?

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
gussie

The BBC now tell me they fixed the issue in February and have asked me to check if I'm using the latrest firmware, check my internet speed and try and connect using wired lan. Well, I already told them what firmware I'm using and my internet speed is OK - other Internet Services like YouTube work OK on my TV.

Sony Support now say they have escalated the issue.

ricjesse
New

I am also getting this problem (for the first time) May 2017 Is BBC not replying?

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

This is now getting very frustrating.

The BBC deny there is a problem and Sony Support repeatedly ask me to do the same things.

I re-installed the latest firmware
I did a Factory Reset
I connected via wired lan

All the other Internet Services on the TV work !!!

The BBC iPlayer on my Sony KDL-42W705B TV is broken, I get the message

"Internet download failed because content size exceed system memory limit"

whenever I try to play content or when navigating content.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE JUST FIX IT!

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Exactly the same error happens on a Sony KDL-32W705B TV with PKG3.004EUA firmware.

This in a different house and different ISP.

Conclusive evidence!

Lilac9
Explorer

I have also followed the instructions from Sony Customer Support (again), but there was no improvement - System Memory Limit message whenever I tried to play anything, and sometimes just when navigating content.

A brief moment this evening when I could download an episode on iPlayer, but the second time I tried to do it, back to the System Memory Limit message.

My request for support has been 'escalated'.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I reported this issue to my contact within Sony.  They are aware of this particular issue and are currently investigating.  Unfortunately I do not know any further information at this stage - hoping to receive something that I can post back soon.

Cheers

ricjesse
New

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Hi here’s a little update on my experience of the above problem.
We have had a Bravia for the last two years with no problem using BBC IPlayer until an attempt to retrieve the first series of Versailles. No problem for first 4 episodes then the dreaded message. As a past S/W bod I thought I would approach it as though the root cause could be with the Sony TV S/W rather than the BBC.
I subsequently used our TalkTalk Youview box to access IPlayer and low and behold the problem did not occur, which seems to confirm that it is Sony’s Bravia where the problem is most likely to be.
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Same issues here on 50w829b. This had only really started since the BBC updated all their iplayer apps and it's obviously pretty widespread.  But to all those going crazy about wasted money and terrible service,  iplayer has a fault, your TV still works and it isn't trying to kill you...calm down. 

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

I've been getting this same problem on my KDL-50W705B for some weeks now. To add insult to injury, Netflix has also stopped working. I'm going to have to report the Netflix problem as a fault as I rely on it. I have an alternative for iPlayer in my NowTV box, which is fabulously responsive and reliable. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Same here with the Netflix issue,  very frustrating,  luckily I have other means of watching but it's a shame, it used to work great.