Join now - be part of our community!

How to set Jumbo Frames on Vaio VPCF13Z1E/B?

profile.country.en_GB.title
rob.sheppard
Visitor

How to set Jumbo Frames on Vaio VPCF13Z1E/B?

Hi,

I'm setting up a storage server to be accessed via iSCSI on a separate subnet to my normal LAN, and need to set jumbo frames on the gigabit network adapter on my VPCF13Z1E laptop (I will then use the wireless adapter to access the LAN, and the wired NIC for the storage). I understand the adapter in this model is a Marvell Yukon 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Can anyone advise how to do this?

Also, I sometimes take my laptop to different venues and plug it into their LAN (I'm a catwalk fashion photographer and sometimes the press office at shows provide a LAN for press), so would I then need to unset jumbo frames or will the adapter automatically detect the different packet size? Or would I need a script that I can run to set and unset?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rob,

Device Manager -> Network Adapters ->  right-click on the network  adapter you’re using to connect to your network -> Properties.

Click on the Advanced tab and look for Jumbo Frame in the Property  window. Now, choose the MTU size you wish your NIC to operate with.

You will probably have to do this with your NAS device also to set the same MTU.  Everything on the Ethernet network must be set to the same value although your router should be OK if it supports JF.

As this sets the MTU for the NIC you will have to manually disable JF in Device Manager to use the LAN with any other network using a different MTU.

JF.jpg

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
rob.sheppard
Visitor

Many thanks Blencogo for taking the time to answer this: networking is not my strongpoint but you've made it sound relatively easy so I'm less duanted! My iSCSI server has dual NICs, at least one of which is gigabit and so hopefully I can set that in a similar way to the matching MTU...:smileywink:

Thanks again,

Rob