Join now - be part of our community!

If Vista fails to install hard disk drivers

xiximora
Visitor

If Vista fails to install hard disk drivers

Hello,

I have tried to have a clean start and install windows vista on my vaio from scratch. I've used the recovery disks (two identical sets actually, which i have received from sony by mistake instead of one - hence, i dont think its a recovery disk problem) however I get a problem with recognition of my hard disk.

No hard disk is listed on the system, so the installation fails. When I click - "load drivers" - vista does not "guide you through the rest of the process" as it's written on the microsoft support site(see below). It simply fails to find the setup file to start the process of looking for hard disk drivers, so it opens windows sys32 folder and prompts to load setup file.

The question is: how do i find the right file in the system32 folder to start the "loading of drivers" process?

regards,

S

sources: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi xiximora and welcome,

You have to provide the SATA Driver for your hard drive. This is usually in the Original Driver Package download. I am a little surprised these are not on the recovery discs in C:\Drivers - are these Vista discs?

Which model Vaio do you have?

:thinking:

xiximora
Visitor

It's a Vaio VGN FZ21E. These are the recovery disks produced by Sony, so they have an original Vista, i presume.

When I choose Load drivers, a box "Add drivers" appears on the screen which prompts me to insert the installation media for the device. Since I use the 1st recovery disk (out of 3) I assume that this is it, and press ok.

Next, it opens a window with System 32 folder. The file type it asks for is "setup information". The sys32 folder does have a very large list of drivers (in the system32/driverstore/filerepository). However i do not see anything with name SATA in the list.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Try the Intel Non-RAID SATA Driver attached to this post. You will need to right-click on the .ZIP file and choose "Extract All". Extract to a folder where you can find it during installation.

I still think it should be on your Recovery Discs in ?:\Drivers\SATA or in ?:\Windows\Drivers\SATA.

:wink:

xiximora
Visitor

Thanks, it worked. :cool:

Peace.

S