Join now - be part of our community!

Owners Manual for SVL2412Z1EB

profile.country.en_GB.title
PreshawPete
Visitor

Owners Manual for SVL2412Z1EB

I've tried downloading this from the Sony web site and it comes as a zip file but when I open it there are a number of files but they don't work together to produce a manual???

Why on earth didn't you (Sony) put this on the PC or a disc? It's left me with a bit of new hardware that I'm struggling with and may soon lose my cool!

5 REPLIES 5
PreshawPete
Visitor

Thank you for these suggestions - I note from the US site that they have the same system - you get a brief introductory manual that is supposed to update to the full one when you register (but of course, it diidn't). I've search the PC and there's an App but just to the introductory manual that doesn't update. I found the manuals on the VaioCare web site but the main manual is not available in .pdf only in a form that interacts (but doesn't really) with this mini job. What a system! I noted on the web site of John Lewis from whom I purchased mine, that one other customer had the same trouble. I asked JL tech to get one for me but they were unhelpful!

Not a good experience! Spent a long time trying to get the CD drive to open only to discover that it didn't and you feed the DVD/CD into a slot!

Not good customer care!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi PreshawPete.

This is a user forum so you won't get a reply from Sony here.

The User Manual is usually preinstalled on new Vaios although I am not sure where on the latest Windows 8 models.  Have you tried searching All Programs on the desktop for Manual or User Guide.  Have you looked in Vaio Care?

I see there is a new SmartPhone version.

Like you, I have no idea why Sony have moved from a printable .PDF to a .ZIP file.  Lunacy I guess.

What I do is go to Sony USA and find the nearest model there: -

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/pc/SVL2412_series/EN/index.html

If that is not sufficient, you will need to phone Sony Support and ask them to point you to the User Guide.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi PreshawPete,

does the following help at all..:smileyconfused:

Updating the User Guide to the Latest Version

By updating this User Guide - Introduction Version through the Internet, you can get the complete version of the User Guide with detailed information on your VAIO computer.

Once the User Guide is updated to the complete version, you can access it anytime even if you are offline.

With the complete version of the User Guide, you can view information about:

• Parts description
  • Feature and operating instructions
  • Precautions
  • Troubleshooting information
  • Windows 8 basic operations

To get the complete version of the User Guide

1. Connect your VAIO computer to the Internet.
  2. Exit this User Guide - Introduction Version.
  3. Open the charms and select (Search).
  4. Select Apps.
  5. Enter “VAIO Manual” in the Search box.
  6. Select VAIO Manual from the list.
  7. After a window prompting you to update the manual appears, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the updates.

This file will automatically update to the complete version of the User Guide.

If the window prompting you to update the User Guide does not appear, make sure your VAIO computer is connected to the Internet and repeat the above steps.

If the update window still does not appear, start VAIO Update so you can find and download the User Guide manually.

Hint

• It may take some time to complete the update.

sonytjm
Explorer

I downloaded AEC2100111.zip and unpacked it (by opening it). Then index.html gave me the manual. The manual is broken down into small fragments with lots of links. You are liable to go round in circles looking for something simple - and it rarely answers my questions! I think it does what Sony intended though. A great shame as I think the system is quite good - but after 2 months have only just found the software for sound and video editing with DVD creation etc. This time I had to download the "provided" software as well as the documentation. None of this is mentioned in the manual.

PreshawPete
Visitor

Thank you Thalamus

I have certainly found the on-line version but not sure about whether it will be there when my internet connection fails. It's certainly better than nothing but is pretty bare and although it's got loads of headings, the content is sparse. For example - my computer is 3D enabled but here is absolutely nothing about how to set it up and use it. When I press the 3D button it tells me the screen isn't set up. When I chase 3D screen set up - there's nothing there and Google failed to help.

Having said that it set the TV tuner up on its own and it worked as soon as I turned it on. The computer is great and I'm beginning to work with W8 although I spend most of the time on the Desktop in W7 mode!