Join now - be part of our community!

USB Numeric Keypad

LOOXIE
Visitor

USB Numeric Keypad

Hi,
I connected a numeric USB keypad to the VGN-FS513E.
Hitting the NymLock key on this keypad, activates the numeric keys on both the keyboard and the keypad. The last one is fine, the first one, not.
Normally the keyboard controller should make/see a difference between the 2 NumLock keys on both keyboard/pad.
I know with other portables this works not with the VAIO ?
Or where can I set this up correctly.

Regards

Looxie.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi LOOXIE and welcome to Club Vaio.

Did a 'keypad utility' come on a disc with the keypad?
Have a look at your Numeric Keyboard Driver - there is usually a software switch to enable NumLock on the keypad without changing the setting on the Vaio.

I am not sure if this will work - it may not be supported in your Vaio's BIOS but have a look. Press F2 as the unit is starting to boot to enter the BIOS
With Main highlighted press the Enter key.
Use the down arrow to highlight Internal Numlock and press Enter to remove the check and disable the feature. This will disable the Numlock on the internal keyboard so that when Numlock is pressed it will only be enabled on an external device
Use the right arrow key to highlight Exit. Save Changes and Exit will be highlighted, press the Enter key to choose this option and then press the Enter key again. The computer will restart.

:thinking:

LOOXIE
Visitor

Hi,

no there was no disc with the keypad.
I have found out that there are differences between different keypads, some have an unsynchronized NumLock which should prevent the NumLock of the system keyboard to be activated at the same time.
This should work.
I did not try the BIOS thing becaus the system isn't currently at my disposal, but after the next weekend I will com back on this as I have found out.
Already thanks.

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
lukasso
Visitor

Hi, I have the same problem on my VGN-NS31M, the numeric keypad didn't come with any software and my bios is so empty, that I don't have any way to set that there. Do you have another tip? I would be very grateful 😄

Thank you very much.

Lukas