Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-A317M HARDDRIVE REPLACEMENT - HELP NEEDED

DVDKEV
Visitor

VGN-A317M HARDDRIVE REPLACEMENT - HELP NEEDED

I am replacing a dead harddrive in my VGN-A317M laptop with a brand new Hitachi SATA HDD with no Vaio drivers/utilities installed.

I dont have any recovery discs and wondered if these can be obtained from Sony? If so how?

If I cant get recovery discs, is it OK to just download the original driver/utility packs from the Sony site on another PC and burn these onto a DVD to be used as a recovery disc for the laptop, i.e. would they work just the same as the original recovery discs, do I put drivers on one disc and utilities on another or both on one disc?

I have an XP Pro disc. Do I install the drivers/utilities first then XP Pro or is it the other way round?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.nl_NL.title
moby_toby
Explorer

Hi

I did a replacement om my vgna397xp ; I replaced the 80G fujitsu drive with two(!) drives, first I tried the Hitachi 7200 rpm 100 GB drive. I found it to noisy (and resonance) and my notebook was hotter than before.
Then I tried the fujitsu 120 GB 5400 rpm drive because and it is very quiet and cool. Performance is little less fast as the hitachi, but fast enough.

happy 2007

simrana
Visitor

Thank you!