Join now - be part of our community!

What is an SV1711X1EB - is it a spurious copy of a Vaio?

profile.country.en_GB.title
635csi
New

What is an SV1711X1EB - is it a spurious copy of a Vaio?

I have this laptop which I bought a few weeks ago from a reputable company in Sheffield. I am unable to register it on the Sony site, as the site does not list it in the available models. It cost just short of £900. The serial number and product name is clearly marked on the label underneath it where is should be.

I have searched the entire web on Google and it is not listed. Do I have a copied machine with a false product name, or have Sony changed the name and not mentioned it.

It has a 17.3 inch screen, an I7 4 core processor, 8 gb of 64 bit memory and apart from a slow hard drive, which drops it down to 5.9 on the windows satisfaction rating from 7.9 for the rest of the machine, it runs reasonably fast and seems to be of good build quality.

The only other problem is that the windows 7 key stuck on the underside does not have the usual clear plastic protection that I have always had on my other machines, and is already wearing out.

This, together with being unable to register it or the Windows 7 software on it makes me begin to wonder if it is a  genuine Vaio.

Has anyone else got one and have they managed to register theirs?

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi 635csi,

The reference from the underside is a chassis model which can be shared by several models. Have a look on the screen surround for the product model reference.

You should also find the model name in Vaio Control Centre > System information and the BIOS.

You may find that it is a SVE1711X1EB

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1711X1EB/specifications

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Typo

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat