Join now - be part of our community!

Windows must be reinstalled. Won't accept product key but it's been fine for three years.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Tomo4242
Visitor

Windows must be reinstalled. Won't accept product key but it's been fine for three years.

Hi,

I've had my laptop for about three years and never had this problem. I logged in to my Vaio this morning and it told me to

"Activate now to complete the windows activation process."

I click activate now and it says

"The windows vista home premium product key you typed is invalid for activation"

Options are to buy new one or enter alternative. I try entering the product code on the bottom of the computer and it says:

"Code 0xC004F33." Not allowed to be installed.

Then it says:

"Windows must be reinstalled. An unauthorized change was made. Must be reinstalled to activate" Insert CD or DVD to begin.

The error code suggests I'm running the wrong system (32 when it should be 64 or vice versa - system tells me it's 32)  but this has never happened before and I haven't done anything knowingly to change windows. The only thing that's been happening lately is the computer's been trying to download windows security updates but repeatedly failing.

I've tried system restore but that doesn't even come up when I click on it, presumably because it's part of the windows system that isn't working.

Weirdly if I try to open firefox it tells me it's already running, but it isn;t as far as I can see.

At the moment my desktop is there but telling me; "Windows Vista (TM). Build 6002. This copy of windows is not genuine."

Sorry for long post but anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Are you still using the original Sony Operating System and language?  Have you owned the Vaio from new?

The original OS  never needs activation - it activates automatically if you restore from the recovery partition or recovery discs, so the code on the bottom of the Vaio is not a valid activation code for any other OS.

What model do you have?

The 3 options you have are: -

1. Activate by telephone, telling the Microsoft agent the full story.  They may or may not agree to activate.

2. If you are using the original Sony OS, you could contact Vaio Support.  This may have to be on the premium support line if you are outside warranty.

3. Back up all your data and carry out a full system recovery from the Recovery Partition or the Recovery Discs.  This may be your best option as it sounds like you have other, additional system problems as well.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Are you still using the original Sony Operating System and language?  Have you owned the Vaio from new?

The original OS  never needs activation - it activates automatically if you restore from the recovery partition or recovery discs, so the code on the bottom of the Vaio is not a valid activation code for any other OS.

What model do you have?

The 3 options you have are: -

1. Activate by telephone, telling the Microsoft agent the full story.  They may or may not agree to activate.

2. If you are using the original Sony OS, you could contact Vaio Support.  This may have to be on the premium support line if you are outside warranty.

3. Back up all your data and carry out a full system recovery from the Recovery Partition or the Recovery Discs.  This may be your best option as it sounds like you have other, additional system problems as well.

:thinking: