Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Burn in Issue

Sadeepa55
Visitor

Screen Burn in Issue

My Sony Xperia X is having screen burn issue, and I gave it to be fixed and they said that there is no issue with the display. They also said that they reinstalled Android again, but still this issue keeps appearing. I tried those screen burn in apps from the play store, but still there's no improvement. Is there any solution for this problem ?

20 REPLIES 20
YoGem
Leader

That is interesting, can you take a picture of your display!? Not a screenshot.. A photo of it. 

CameronT
Champion

Hi @Sadeepa55, Welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear about this Slightly_frowning_Face 

I too would like to see a photo of the issue to get a better idea of what would be happening here. 

Also, did you send it to your Local support team for a repair or through a third party?

skyler
New

I'm experiencing the same behaviour... Use the device for a few minutes, and mainly the status bar icons "burn in". They disappear after a little while though, but come back once you use the device again.

And I've noticed that it's not just the top, I'm seeing it on the edges of the screen as well (mainly left). Oddly enough, it doesn't happen with the navigation bar..

At first I thought it might be something in the Concept firmware (top image), so I wiped the device and reinstalled the Official firmware, but it's happening there as well (bottom image)

IMG_20170814_222519.jpgIMG_20170817_153803.jpg

YoGem
Leader

That is weird, I always heard about some "retention" when speaking about "IPS" but it's still like a rare effect and usually manufacturers prefer to substitute IPS panels with retention issues as this will lead, soon or later, to a major failure.

I will do a test, and report here the results. That Burn IN retention effect can be also a software bug related to the notification area being transparent.

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

it's definitely not a software issue. I used to experience the same thing on my X, and sometimes not only the status bar icons would show as ghosting, but some other white parts of the UI as well, for example Chrome's URL bar. I noticed that it would happen when the phone was getting hot (heavy usage + hot weather), and would go away once the phone cooled down.
Sadeepa55
Visitor

20170826_191951.jpg

If you look at the bottom of right side, you would see a burn in. I will try to upload few more clear images.  And also I repaired it through a Sony authorised dealer who's operating in my country.

CameronT
Champion

@Sadeepa55 & @0skyler0, does this go away after time or is it always present?

You may wish to get in touch with your Local support team again to arrange another assessment.

Sadeepa55
Visitor

Actually it stays in the screen for some time and then it disappears eventually. I gave the phone to be repaired, and they told me that there's no issue with the display. And they also told me they reinstalled the firmware, but still it keeps happening.

skyler
New

It goes away after a few minutes of having the screen off. But as soon as you start using it for more than a few minutes it happens again. 

I did some tests with an image that has a white roster on a black background, leave it on screen for a few minutes, and when you open up a darker image (best seen with dark grey) you can still see parts of the roster in all 4 corners of the screen. Again, this does go a way after a few minutes of not using the device.

I dropped mine off for repair yesterday, hopefully Sony NL will fix it..