Join now - be part of our community!

Camera Theft

supertaf
New

Camera Theft

Having just seen a YouTube video by Tony & Chelsea Northrup about camera theft (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZjxU7XeSrI) I want to know from Sony what they are going to do to introduce some or all of the ideas put forward in this video. It seems odd to me that there are no security facilities or trace facilities in Sony cameras and suggest that considering the significant costs of buying them it's time that there were similar facilities as given to phones. 

Given that the guy who was robbed on the video was held at gun point having security features such as logged cameras and GPS tracing are essential to make such robberies unattractive. I do not think it it right that Sony customers should have to rely on insurance to recover gear; the gear itself should have protections to make robberies worthless. Comments most welcome. 

Mark  

Sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/secure-our-camera-gear-stop-camera-robbery Camera theft continues to be a problem all over the world. Our friend, Louis Chan, was robbed at his own home by brazen thieves with a gun. Louis tells his story and shares video footage of the crime taking ...
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Interesting story.

However for everyday people stealing at gunpoint is not very common.

The tips given in this video on how to protect cameras with sort of geofencing, tags, pin lock and more are very interesting.

Hoping some of these suggestions will be implemented in the more expensive camera equipment soon.

Meanwhile common camera owners have their common problem of a stolen camera or very often a camera that is simply left behind.

Here are 2 tips that give you a better chance that your camera returns or at least your precious pictures do.

- Attach a sticker on the back of the camera, behind the tilt lcd screen, on the bottom or wherever you find a spot with your name, maybe address and phone number. I have added a text:Please send this camera back to et cetera.

Next line in smaller print: Or keep the camera and send the SD card back to me.

- in the root directory of SD card a picture of a sticker with my name, address and telephone number.

The picture is named: owners address.jpg

- the same picture in the DCIM directory of the SD card, this picture with the name DSC00001.JPG

DSC_5205.JPG

It's simple and it's the logical step to get your equipment or pictures back.

Remember: the majority of mankind are human beings like yourself.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi supertaf, why don't you contact Sony with your suggestion to officially log it to be considered?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Hi @@HannahEd01  can you tell @supertaf how to reach for the responsible people to drop these suggestions?

BTW

Camera with PIN should have kind of a PUK code as well, like SIM cards to reset.

You wouldn't want the PIN to be reset by a camera reset.

Smartphones are protected against reset by the security given through the owners Gmail account, cameras don't have such an option.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

profile.country.GB.title
Pete1774
Explorer

Putting your name and address on your camera may be fine if its lost and some honest person finds it. However its not a good idea if you have just been a victim of a robbery away from home its possible that the thief will use that info to burgle your home. 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Living one's life with an attitude of not being able to trust the vast majority of earthlings will finaly end up in a miserable life.

One can nourish mutual understanding and one can nourish disrespect and mistrust.

A guy like Donald Trump did the latter and see where it ends.

A divided nation.