Join now - be part of our community!

security question

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Periander
New

security question

I sold my Sony Alpha camera to a reseller but forgot to reset/initialise the camera before handing it over. I'm now concerned about possible security risks. While I owned the camera, I performed firmware updates and used Imaging Edge Mobile to control my camera remotely from my phone. What kind of information might be stored on the camera which a malicious hacker could make use of, and what steps can I take to secure my home network and devices? For example, could a hacker gain access to my router and how do I protect it?

Many thanks for any advice you might be able to give me!

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Zhushi
Explorer

Like all WiFi devices, the camera will have the router's ID (but not the MAC) and the associated password.

I am more concerned that you feel the reseller will give out your address to enable a hacking attempt. That is not only illegal (where I live) but an imprisonable offence.

My advice still stands, contact the reseller to have them confirm the camera has been reset.

If you are desperate, hide the WiFi ID and change the password. 

If you feel that your security has been compromised, call the police.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Zhushi
Explorer

Any hacker would have to know where you live and that information isn't in the camera. Unless you purposely set copyright information, your name is not recorded.

I believe that all good resellers will do a full reset as a matter of course to protect themselves from divulging personal information without permission.

Call the people who bought your camera and ask their policy.

If you are still concerned, alter the WiFi password on the router.

profile.country.GB.title
Periander
New

Thank you for your message. The reseller has my address and I have input copyright inormation into the camera which I have not unfortunately deleted. Could you please let me know what kind of information the camera retains? Does it retain the router's MAC address?

profile.country.GB.title
Zhushi
Explorer

Like all WiFi devices, the camera will have the router's ID (but not the MAC) and the associated password.

I am more concerned that you feel the reseller will give out your address to enable a hacking attempt. That is not only illegal (where I live) but an imprisonable offence.

My advice still stands, contact the reseller to have them confirm the camera has been reset.

If you are desperate, hide the WiFi ID and change the password. 

If you feel that your security has been compromised, call the police.

profile.country.GB.title
Periander
New

Ok, thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Periander, the router is your least concern here, the camera has your photos as you said, but if you don't care that's okay. 

Regarding the info stored on the camera, don't worry, there's no way it will collect personal info. He might get your location from the pics if your camera had location tag, that's another thing! I second Zhushi in contacting the reseller.