Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A1 metering issues

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

Sony A1 metering issues

After a few test run I took my new A1 to an event

The performance of the autofocus was great however the metering is shockingly inconsistent

Here two shots close to another in shutter priority auto ISO the camera makes two wildly different choices

One picture has blowned highlights (I do not care) the other is totally dark

I am not sure what is going on here but I have to say I am extremely disappointed with 50% of my shots unesable due to the herratic behaviour of the camera metering

Shots are in centered weighted so nothing special

I have opened a ticket with Sony

20221213_DSC00310_.jpg20221213_DSC00311_.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

Just run some tests. With high frequency LED in essence the metering does not work you cannot use auto ISO you need to shoot in manual

I think the lights under the counters were LED and created the issue

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

For sure it’s not a problem of your camera, but your settings or your technique.

- have you updated to the last camera firmware? If not, which version? https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000384600.html

- which setting do you have about exposure metering? https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000384672.html

- do you have AEL on the shutter button half pressure? https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000384674.html

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

I have been shooting events for over 20 years I do not think I need a lecture on technique

The two images here have exactly the same setting shutter priority Auto ISO and centered weighted metering however the camera comes out with two wildly different answers to the same question

The first shot the metering works part of the image are clipped but that is fine

The second image is not clipped however it is totally underexposed in the center

There is no reason for the camera to make so different choices

In order to have predictable results I ended up shooting in spot metering in manual

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

It’s a mechanism, there is a reason for any results. I wouldn’t tech to you to shot a pic (if someone invest in a A1 I agree that his ability is adequate), but to understand how a new gear work and how to use better.

But if you don’t need for any help, I don’t want force nobody.

Have good light 🖖

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

What would be useful is to hear from someone shooting in similar situation with an a1.

The settings are the same and quite simple 

i have never seen anything like this before

if you have any idea on why the camera makes such different choices I would like to hear it

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

Update I think this has to do with the functionality Anti-flicker not working correctly

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

You are using "center" priority exposure. Probably AEL w/ Shutter is off (or auto), and Live View Display Set. is not on Exposure Effect otherwise you had recognize the difference of exposure while shooting them. I don't see any exposure compensation in both pics.

I don't know which AF setting you are using, I hope AF-C with face recognize that work great on A1. (it have an influence on exposure that I'll explain later).
The firmware version (in not updated) could help to find some known issues on the function).

If you look at your photos you can see that the contrast between subject and background is really hight, so the exposure meter strategy is delicate.
- In the firsrt the center (where the meter read exposure in "center" mode) is on the face of your man. Consequently your result is almost right with background overexposed.

Schermata 2022-12-17 alle 14.53.21.png

- In the second the center (where the meter read exposure) is on the light in background. So your result is exposed for the light in background and your subject is dark.

Schermata 2022-12-17 alle 14.52.28.png

What I suggest (but feel free to ignore my poor experience):
- use Multi-pattern metering, it work better than other in 90% of situations
- use Exposure Effect to see in live view the final result of your pics (it's one of best skills of mirrorless system)
- use face recognize. I prefer to use it on assigned button (classic "AF-ON" rear button) to be able to choose if use it or not in different situations
- [opzional] use AEL w/ Shutter -> on

With those settings, when you are in a scene like the your with high contrast from subject and backgroun, when you enable face recognize (AF-ON in my case) the camera will expose for the face regardless for the background.
If you don't use face recognize, your shoot sequence will be more similar also if at the center of the frame fall a hot point or a dark point. In this case you can easly use exposure compensation wheel to find your best regulation.
The advantage of AEL w/ Shutter, is that (in AF-C) your exposure is locked from first to last pic of your sequence (that you can regulate with exposure comp.) untill you release the button.

In hard situation like your. metering is so hard. Your settings and techniqe must be perfect

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

No I tried all possible metering methods and only got good results with spot however not always

I think what was the issue is anti flicker. Normally I would just use mechanical shutter but with the A1 I though the eshutter will work and if I see banding I will go to mechanical shutter

I did not get banding as I shot at 1/100 multiple of the grid frequency however I do not think I understood how the antiflicker works so in some cases I may have not waited until it was clear or simply the functionality did not work

This would explain the jump between consecutive shots and the randomness of the phenomena

I took shots on the terrace where there were no LED and they are all correct

profile.country.GB.title
interceptor121

Just run some tests. With high frequency LED in essence the metering does not work you cannot use auto ISO you need to shoot in manual

I think the lights under the counters were LED and created the issue

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

It’s a possibility.