Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
manuelsal

My Amazon UHD streaming is not working, in this case I think is more an Amazon issue than a sony one.

The Amazon video app is not the best, is not so good, you can't rate movies and not filter very well on the prime section.

Anyway, I will wait.

Unhappy owner of a KD-49X8307C
adyjay33

Strange how I could stream UHD on Amazon before I updated and now it won't... its not Amazon but Sony I'm sure of it. 

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
spook63

@adyjay33 wrote:

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE 10TH DEC 2016 (2.645)
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
SONY SORT THIS OUT PLEASE!

Doesn't bode well when you time travel to the future only to find that Sony's firmware is still giving problems ...

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi EggDublin,

My current status is that there will be no firmware update before Christmas for UK.

The next planned release for UK TVs is the one end of March.

Cheers

Peter

elraouk

4 months between updates would be acceptable if it was a stable and functioning product, of which this is neither.  For the early adopters that will be roughly 10 months from purchase, not am acceptable amount of time to wait for a stable software Base or delivery of advertised features.  Based on past experience, it will then be another couple of months (so a year from purchase) for another update to fix all the bugs they missed.  Has the bug about the TV reporting phantom sources connected to hdmi ports been raised?  Or the fact it takes 45 seconds to switch on an audio device by hdmi? 
profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Hi Peter - if you're part of the Sony team can you please raise an urgent report with the company?  The latest Dec 10th update seems to have disrupted the pre-installed Amazon Video app on the TV.  Before the update I could stream Amazon  UHD on this TV but now I, and others, get an error message "licence error".

I appreciate Sony have no planned update before March but surely in circumstances when an update removes fucntionality Sony should respond urgently, responsibly and reasonably to put things right.  Amazon for me is a paid subscription so while Sony does nothing I am losing out by not being able to use my subscription.  After all, Sony chose to put the app on the TV so it is reasonable to expect that Sony will ensure that updates don't disrupt its chosen partners.

This is a 4K TV with pre-installed Amazon Video app.  It is therefore completely reasonable to expect (a) it to work; (b) Sony to react urgently when an update has unintended consequences.

Can you therefore raise this urgently so that customers don't lose use of a paid service.  Is Sony really going to say that we can't use Amazon UHD over Christmas?

Others have reported this issue on here and I have reported it to Amazon directly.  

How can we have faith in Sony's updates and promises if updates break exisitng functions on the TV?

phiwer
Explorer

It's time for me to check out. I returned my x8509c and bought an LG instead.

I personally think Android TV will be The way to go once Sony / Philips etc get these bugs sorted, but this year's customers have been Guinea pigs and deserve an apology. 

These sets seem to be selling extremely well, atleast that's my assumption when I visit every dealer. Sadly my experience with Sony has left a bitter taste with regards to the quality of their current line.

I wish you all the best of luck with these sets. 

profile.country.GB.title
macmac2828
Explorer

I've returned my KD55X8509C to Currys also, I purchased my set at the end of October and three firmware updates later the functionality is worse than when I first purchased it.

As previous posters have said you need to stand firm with them and demand your money be refunded (they will use every excuse in the book to refuse a refund).

I focused on the issue of the TV being sold with lots of features that it clearly does not have or if it does have the features they do not work as advertised, as a side issue, avoid being dragged into a discussion about the TV being faulty, ie slow response times, sluggishness of Youview etc, otherwise they will demand to send your TV for repair!.

These are the issues I reported:

No HDD recording functionality.

No PIP/PAP.

Exclusive use of either Youview or Satellite tuner features.

When Youview is disabled there is no access to two on-demand services, namely ITV Player and 4OD.

All of the above features were advertised both on their website and the product box.

Anyway I'm just glad I got my money back and will wait and choose my next TV more carefully, it will not be a Sony, I have to agree with this poster that the whole episode has left me very disappointed with Sony and their responses to the whole thing, again as people have mentioned before me, this product does not even function correctly as a basic TV, never mind as a fully functional smart TV.

Good luck to anybody still trying to get their hard earned cash back, I could'nt even reset the password to my account for this website so I had to create this account to post, sums the whole episode up really, trouble at every turn!

Thanks to all the posters, as I found the information on here very informative and helpful.

mk1.golf.1983

I have made the mistake of updating my tv with the latest firmware! I stupidly listened to somebody's post saying it was a good update, WRONG. This latest update has left my KDL43W755C unstable where before the update it was fairly stable. I now get a random black screen, the tv guide turns itself off and refuses to do what is asked along with general unresponsiveness.

To think that I have to put up with this until the end of March makes me rather annoyed, it was ok before! Really it's not good enough and I'm going to have to talk to my retailer about returning this joke tv under the not fit for purpose sale of goods act thingy. 

Sony can suck!

Edited for language - EdwinaU

ezeest

Given that 3D blu-rays played OK before the October update with the stupid pop up banner. Sony engineered this fault and are in no hurry to fix it, I see no reason why they will address any other issue urgently. So I will probably wait for the 2016 models then get them to replace the set under the 1st years warranty because they don't have the knowledge to fix the fault which is easily demonstrated to any engineer so let's see them argue there way out of it then! Sent from my iPhone