Join now - be part of our community!

AF8 ethernet port

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

AF8 ethernet port

Hi,

Does anyone know if the ethernet port on the AF8 will be 1 gb?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @sukmudha7

I'm not sure it will, as previous BRAVIAs have had 'fast' ethernet but not gigabit ethernet, and it's the sort of upgrade we would have heard about. I would happily stand corrected...

You can of course use an external box with this functionality, would that help? 

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

I can hardly imagine a scenario in which you will require more than 100 mbit/s. So you make me curious on what you are planning to do?

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi,

I have a lot of 4k movies taken on my Sony RX100IV that do not play well over a home network using a file share. I had to purchase an additional Android box with 1gb ethernet and it worked. 

Have a read of this. I currently own XD93

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/vlc-and-network-share/m-p/2233553

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

They all have 100mbps ports till this very day. Also the 802.11ac Wi-Fi is pretty limiting. The processor does not seem to be well suited for any serious network streaming. I recommend streams to be well below 100mbps for reliable playback.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

When products are designed, they go through a meticulous process in the very early stages of development called; requirements & functional analysis. The result of this process ensures that your RX100 records videos optimised for playback and editing quality using well suited low compression codecs. In the same way your XD93 is optimised to render the best image out of a variety of different input signals using the most advanced image processing and rendering techniques. This means that you as the end-user, are provided with the best tools to design your own solutions. This is the reason why there is not and there will never be a TV or Camera that will do it all for you, while individually they are the best in what they are designed to do.

Therefore, my suggestion for you would be to install plex on your Windows Server 2012 and let software do the delivery work to your TV. In this way you directly have access over all your footage on your NAS through the TV PLEX app and it automatically squeezes the best quality out of your files without unnecessarily exceeding your maximum network bandwidth.

Depending on other requirements you might have, you can also think of dedicating a Windows based platform (think of 8th generation Intel NUCs with support for HDR and HDCP 2.2 on HDMI 2.0 jacks) which opens doors for even off-loading more processing power from your TV (read: less AndroidTV apps resulting in faster TV) and potentially unlocking more capabilities of your TV (e.g. audio and video decoding formats, network authentication, WLAN/LAN bandwidth). A good example of unlocking capabilities is the scenario to have Netflix output Dolby Atmos sound (NUC->AVR) coupled with Dolby Vision picture (AVR->TV).